2011 traverse brakes are applying themselves?

Asked by Oct 07, 2013 at 07:16 PM about the 2011 Chevrolet Traverse

The brakes in my traverse seem to apply themselves after a few hundred feet of stop and go driving and they won't release unless I let it sit for a while. A friend put his scan tool on it and was able to release the pressure but, it only lasted a few hundred feet and they locked up again.

This is a salvage vehicle that I,m repairing and I know the air box was pushed into the master cylinder during the accident. Is it possible the master cylinder isn't releasing all the way and needs time to bleed down?

A salvage vehicle and you didn't replace the master cylinder, even with damage? Totaled out 2011 could have..no—— will have—— a ton of issues. If "air box"..whatever that is...is scrunched in to master cylinder that means a front end or front side collision and the brakes may be damaged in a place unknown, including calipers, geez a long list

David, you assume to much. This was a light hit over the lower rail. Air bags didn't deploy and It didn't even touch the coolers. The air box was pushed back because the radiator support was pushed back (the support on this vehicle wraps all the way back to the cowl) There is no visible damage to the master cylinder, I know the air box hit it because I disassembled the car. I've been doing body work professionally for over 20 year and have built countless salvage vehicles. I've also repaired numerous vehicle far worse than this that never received a marked title. I've never encountered this issue before so, I thought I'd ask here. I guess I should have said "air cleaner box" but, were your snide remarks really necessary?

You are right. I assume too much and apologize, sincerely. What I did assume is that a 2011 Traverse has a market value of right around $20,000 (that part is fact not assumption) and 'salvaged' meant 'totaled' and took a really hard hit to cause an insurance company to declare it totaled, therefore 'salvaged' But my comments were not intended to be 'snide', I'm sorry you saw it that way. I was only attempting to point out a salvaged vehicle can have hidden problems. I wish you good will and the repairs go smoothly at minimal cost.

Hmmm? Well..after reading both of your comments and looking up the definition of a "Salvage Title" on Wikipedia...I actually have a different perspective on what "salvaged" means (I thought it meant the car/truck has sustained major structural damage which may or may not involve the engine). This WOULD be in line with an excerpt I read from there: In general, a vehicle is deemed "salvage" when the insurer determines that the repair or replacement cost is in excess of approximately 70% of its market value at the time of the accident or theft. Thresholds range between 50% and 95% of the vehicle's value, while "total loss states" leave the specifics to the insurer. ------>Here's the Wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvage_title -------------> BUT, since it also states this: Because a salvage title can be issued to a vehicle with easily repairable problems or no damage whatsoever, the low cost of the salvaged motorcycle or car is appealing to some hobbyists and investors. This scenario COULD apply to Tanner1971's Chevy Traverse. @Tanner1971....I really don't believe that DavidH25 was being snide in his reply...just trying to clarify what an "air box" was AND determine the extent of the damage so that he could try to help you.