1999 Hyundai Sonata - Strange start up issue

Asked by Jun 02, 2014 at 04:20 PM about the 1999 Hyundai Sonata

This is a bit difficult to describe, but I will do my best.

Sometimes, when I start my Sonata, it will shake a lot or feel like it's pulling/jolting. It
will do this constant shaking or occasional pulling until I've driven around for about 15
minutes or so, especially if I can get to 40 MPH or above. Until it goes away the
shaking or pulling issue is worse when the car is stopped. Additionally, this issue only
seems to happen when I haven't driven my car in a day or more (it's worse the longer it
sits).

Other issues that may or may not be related:
- Car shakes around 60 MPH, stops around 70+ MPH. (I had all new tires put on my
car a few months ago and haven't driven too many miles since, but I suppose this could
be a tire balance issue.)
- When I turn the AC on, I often hear a loud sound from the front of the car and the car
jerks forward a bit. (I don't recall this happening prior to the starting issues.)
- Also, when I start the car, it doesn't always start up smoothly. When the start up is a
little rough, it usually has the shaking issues described above. When the car has a
smooth start up, it usually doesn't have the shaking issues.

I'm at a loss as to what this could be, so any advice is appreciated! Thanks. :)

237,215

Is your check engine light on? From your description, it might be a multiple misfires. Hard to diagnose based on some information. I'd suggest you have a local mechanic take a look at it. Why deal with this issue for weeks? It's not going to go away on it's own.

The check engine light isn't on currently, no. Unfortunately, I don't trust mechanics really, so I was just hoping to get an idea of what the problem might be so I can better make sure I don't get ripped off...

50

My 2000 Hyundai Sonata does the same thing. I have to let her warm up before driving or it is worse. When it starts shaking and the check Ingine light comes on, I can stop the car and turn it off and back on and it will stop. Every time I change my plugs and wires it lasts for maybe a month or more and then it starts back doing the same thing. It's been happening for about four to five years now. I have my description listed in here also. Please let me know if you get an answer. Thanks, Melissa...

Hi Melissa, Your problem sounds a bit different from mine, but I'll tell you what the problem was for me. Forgive me, as I'm not great with exact terminology. The case covering the engine coil (or the coil itself) had a crack in it. So, every time it rained, water would get into the engine and the spark plugs, causing my engine to misfire. Once the engine had heated up, the water dried out and the issue went away. My car has been driving great since they replaced the case (or coil)! So my suggestion would be to check for cracks around your engine to see if anything is leaking in. Best of luck, Rachel.