windshield washer doesn't work. We checked the fuse inside the car fuse box (it's good) and the relay fuse box area under the hood (the wipers work). I took off the pump and it works when hooked up off the car. The wire powering the pump shows no electricity . Do I have to have the electric wire to the pump checked or could there still be a problem with the relay under the engine hood? Any thoughts?

25

Asked by Jun 08, 2007 at 03:09 PM about the 1999 Hyundai Sonata

windshield washer doesn't work. We checked the fuse inside the car fuse box (it's good) and the relay fuse box area under the hood   (the wipers work). I took off the pump and it works when hooked up off the car. The wire powering the pump shows no electricity . Do I have to have the electric wire to the pump checked or could there still be a problem with the relay under the engine hood? Any thoughts?

33,035

I would check the wire to the pump to make sure power is getting to the pump.

90

I recently bought a 99 sonata v6 as my beater and my washer doesnt work either. I'm not electrically inclined so I might be F'd on this one, however I want to check the fuse first. My underdash fuse block doesnt have the cover so I'm without a diagram to find out which fuse it belongs to. I'd be grateful for some help. Thanks

70

The wipers work.when I push the fluid button it blows fuse.put new fuse in and same thing happens.

1,505

There is a small electric pump for the washer, sounds like it's shorted.

3,790

the washer pumps have atendency to freeze during the winter and then split open at the sides of the pump when the fluid expands. i know its a little difficult but look at the pump and check to see if this has happened. if it looks ok unplug it and see if the fuse still blows. most of the time its the pump but it could be a short in the wiring too.since it only blows when you activate the pump id say its the pump

im f'd myself. but i would check the wire to pump so that you are 100% sure that it has power

20

Sometimes its the washer handle. Many assume the button which moves the wipers across once is the cleaning button. This is incorrect. You have to pull the handle toward you to dispense water continually while wipers work continously for as long as desired. Dont push the button, pull the handle. This can be confusing for many.

Similar situation but sometimes it works and sometimes the washer doesn't! And I live in El Paso TX....so no it isn't frozen! Didn't work when it was 102F but worked a week later and didn't work later the same day.

I try to push botton so the water can come out front window but seens is not working

Check wires for rodent chew damage.