How do I make my 10 Kia Rio faster?

Asked by Nov 25, 2007 at 10:22 PM about the 2010 Kia Rio

I know it's really just an economy car that is great for gas mileage, but is there any possible way to make it run faster?

14,755

There are options for helping any car to run faster. Some are more viable for your Kia Rio than others. Below is a simple list of these possible options. Cold Air Intake Less Restrictive Exhaust Turbo Charger Performance Throttle Body Performance Fuel Injectors Reprogrammed ECM Performance Ignition System

55

Basic Aftermarket upgrades would help, but be sure if you are adding horsepower to maybe upgrade the brakes as well, probably because the stock disc and drum set up aren't made for more than the stock 110 horsepower.

385

Buy a faster car....

115

Replacement will be the only satisfying route.

680

i drive a hyundai accent that ive done alot of work if you really want it fast without spending a ton of money like i did look into a motor swap the 2.0L from the hyundai tiberon should bolt right in with little or no mods or you could go all out and put the v6/ 6 speed in there from the tiberon SL

115

You can polish a turd as much as you like, but it's still gonna be a turd. A Rio isn't tuned to use much fuel, so it doesn't use much air either. So a cold air intake will hardly help. Because little fuel means little exhaust, an exhaust system won't help out. Turbos run off of the exhaust, so for the same reason, you likely could get no more than 5 or 6 pounds of boost which would NOT be worth the price of even the cheapest turbo. An engine swap would obviously net some good gains, but is all that money, not to mention work, worth it to you for a Rio?

8,465

Not 'a ton of money' does not equal 'motor swap'... Seriously! A 01 Kia Rio... Generously valued at 4.5k even if you do a swap for next to dirt you're paying at least a fourth the cars value.

90

nos stickers and seat covers add atleast 45 hp and 75 lb ft of tq each

680

exactly that... the last car youd expect to smoke you at the line...all about the sleepers

385

oohh yeah, and maybe one of those chrome dipsticks. I hear those are good for 5 horsepower

10,365

Go downhill!!!!!

205

You can polish a turd as much as you like, but it's still gonna be a turd. thats awsome, i have to agree thats the best slogan i have heard in a long time

315

LOL anything is worth the price on peoples faces sometimes.. Not to mention when you think about the cost of a Rio against an SRT4 or even a REX the Rio is around 1/2 the cost.. That leaves you with near 10G to play with.. I didn't buy my Rio to re sell it in a few years so I could care less about resale on the Rio.. Though on 15psi and ~220hp it surely turns heads. Not to mention puts SRT4's and REX's in their place. ( you should see it on 25 psi) Now for the question at hand. A 13 second Rio is not a practical daily driver.. I drive mine on weekends and sometimes during the week. Though I have another vehicle to get to and from work. So if something is to happen the down time won't be of any hardship. Secondly the Kia Rio takes handling modifications a whole lot better then performance. I have a friend whose Rio will pull 1.08G all day long, great for the track in the corners but the is not much power for passing on the straights. There are a lot of options for a naturally aspirated engine build, but you'll be lucky to break 150whp without breaking the bank. Check out www.streetkiaz.com there is lots of information available to anyone looking to modify any Kia.

905

to make a kia rio faster first you go to the dealership and trade it in for a good car that is already faster. then you drive the newer, faster, better car.

315

Yeah that would be how you do it if you like to give up on everything you start, sure lets all go out and by Veyrons cause they are the fastest cars out there and why not start with one of the fastest production vehicles. Or we could all get Civics cause you know there are not enough done up Civics in this world and it need many many more.

25

Buy a Scion.

25

Why make it go faster? It's a little Kia Rio, not a McClaren. It's not built for speed. Thats why they're inexpensive. I assume that -- like me -- you bought it for the price, good gas mileage and reliability. You're NOT going to tool down the road with your hair on fire, or whip through the switchbacks and slaloms in a little Rio. Just accept it is what it is. Your question is like asking how to make the Yugo a better car. I've had my little Rio for a while now, and the 1.6L is a peppy little number - it'll keep up with my wifes 09 Corolla. If you need something faster, trade it in. The Kia is a good little car that'll get you where you need to go. Enjoy it. So it'll take you a little longer to get there. It takes longer on foot or on a bus. Thats my advice.

10

my kia rio can whoop any of yalls cars. just sayin. you can make a kia rio fast as hell

20

I have a 09 KIA Rio lx with only a few mods and turn heads everywhere I go

Man... so many negative people. I put 2" strut spacers in and 30" mudding tires. It's actually a little beast offroad With everything stock. It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than to pay tickets till you go to jail...

Love all these guys bashing lol i say do it up if it means something to you when done screw them man i have a 2010 kia rio5 lx and kinda want to do some work just for the laugh effect of it like seriously NO ONE expects a little kia rio hatchback to be a little bolt but it is possible look up streetkiaz. With the z and you will see some pretty knarly ones man