trunk release cable

Asked by Apr 08, 2016 at 09:43 AM about the 2000 Hyundai Sonata

My trunk release cable  is rusted and not
working and my key fits in trunk but does
not turn is there a trick or other release way
to open trunk I have same issue with gas
cap

445

ive crawled into the trunk from my back seat to open a trunk. there should be a release in the trunk. Many sedans made since 2000 have a 'valet switch' in the back that prevents unauthorized use of the vehicle's trunk when they only have a valet key. You may have accidentally clicked it over to activate this without even realizing it

I just got extremely lucky and was able to release my back seats in about 30 minutes. Eliminating my trial and error will allow you to do this in 1/2 the time. I suggest starting with the rear passenger side since that is the bigger seat and will give your easier access to the trunk. 1. Remove the rear headrest. 2. Remove the plastic square behind the headrest. We will call that the A Hole (that's also what we will call the person that designed this ridiculous system. 3. Remove the plastic square covering the middle seat belt strap. We will call this the B Hole. 4. Look through A hole and you will see a wire with gray insulation on it. This is the seat release wire. Shine a light through B Hole and you will be able to trace this wire towards the center of the car. You will see where it passes through an anchor and than comes out the other side without the insulation on it. This uninsulated wire is the one you want to pull/pry. I stuck a screw driver through the A Hole to accomplish this. The seat popped pretty easily. You will hear it pop and release. The driver's side releases in a similar fashion if you are unable to get the passenger side to work. 5. Once the seat is down, you will see a gray switch to the left of the trunk lock mechanism. This is the release. Simply slide the button to the side and the trunk will open. You can also trace the gray wire back to the knob and give it a pull to release the other seat if you need more room. I had my much skinnier son do this for me. 6. There is a valet switch to the right of the locking mechanism on the trunk lid. On my car this was in the lock position. I must have bumped it at some point. Switch it to the unlock position and your key fob release as well as the release on the dash of the car should work. 7. Reward yourself with an ice cold beverage for a job well do