GAS IN OIL ?

5

Asked by Oct 05, 2014 at 08:06 PM about the 1997 Ford Thunderbird

I HAVE A 1997 TBIRD V8 4.6 WHEN I TRY TO START IT SOMETIMES IT TAKES 20 TRYS TO KEEP IT RUNNING.WEN I GIVE IT GAS IT SOUNDS LIKE CRAP ITS STARTS CUUTING OUT AND DIES .BUT IF I BARELY GIVE IT GAS AND HOLD AT 1000RPM IT SOUNDS GREAT. I CANT EVEN DRIVE IT A BLOCK WITHOUT IT DIEING .IT SOUND AND ALMOST ACTS LIKE ITS RUNNING OUT OF GAS.I WAS TOLD THERE GAS IN OIL,SO MUCH THAT IT READS ABOUT A QT OVER FULL LINE. THE CODE THAT CAME UP WAS P0232 FUEL PUMP SECONDARY CIRCUIT HIGH.. PLEASE IM A DESPERATE SINGLE MOTHER NOT AFRAID TO GET DIRTY I JUST GOT THE CAR AN I REALLY ND HELP

745

It sounds like you a fuel pressure problem. Replace your fuel filter first to eliminate a restricted filter. If there isn't any improvement you should check what your fuel pressure is. You'll need a fuel pressure gauge to check the fuel pressure. Autozone part stores rent out tools but I have never needed to rent tools. If you lived in Tampa I would show you how to use my pressure gauge. The pressure should be between 35-45 psi. at Idle. If the pressure is within specs then check for fuel leaking around the injectors on the intake. If they all look dry then it's not an external fuel leak that might have caught the car on fire. You might have an injector or more that aren't spraying the fuel like it's supposed to. A faulty injector could cause a fuel smell in the oil. The engine oil might not have been changed in a long time. If that's the case you'll smell fuel but not a real strong oder. If your motor has a quart of fuel mixed in the oil it might be enough to cause total engine failure. I would change your oil just incase. More than likely the person who changed the oil didn't wait long enough to let all the oil reach the oil pan. Check all your vacum hoses for leaks and breaks. Your fuel pressure regulator uses a constant vacum to keep the fuel pressure up under heavy loads. Your catalitic converter might be clogged up as well. It could cause almost all the same complaints. Easy way to check is put your hand about 6 inches away from tailpipe and have someone rev the engine up. If all you feel extreme heat and no air flow pushing your hand away. Another way is use a temperture gun. If the temperture at the back of converter is a lot hotter then the front of it. When it is glogged the exhaust fumes get force back into the engine. Oil smells like fuel when this happens too. Engine has no power without exhaust flow. I hope that my post helps you out.

5

TO (TDJ383) THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH THAT SOUNDS ALOT MORE LOGICAL THEN WAT I WAS BEING TOLD .IM A EAGER LEARNER,IF YOU WERE IN CALIFORNIA .I WOULD HAVE YOU OVER TO TEACH ME HOW TO USE YOUR PRESSURE GAGE. ANYHOW IVE JUST LEARNED THAT THE PRIOR OWNER DUMPED A BOTTLE OF 2STROKE OIL INTO THE TANK DIRECTLY ALONG WITH 3 GALLONS OF GAS .....DONT KNOW Y ANYONE WOULD DO THAT......? IM GETTING READY TO DRAIN GAS ,DRAIN OIL,CHANGE FUEL FILTER,AND THE OIL FILTER RIGHT NOW. LET YOU KNOW HOW IT GOES....WISH ME LUCK

5

THE CAR IS GETTING PLENTY OF GAS ,I CAN TELL YOU THAT MUCH WITHOUT CHANGING FILTER . DOES THAT CHANGE WAT U THINK I SHOULD DO ?

745

Fuel pressure should be 35-45psi. If it dumping raw into the crankcase it won'be long before your bearing say good bye.

745

Good luck!

5

THE PEOPLE WHO GAVE ME THE 97 TBIRD JUST TEXT ME AND SAID THEY CHANGED THE STOCK STEREO AND WEN THEY WERE DONE THEY START HAVING PROBLEMS. DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE ,OR HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH MY PROBLEM . I SEE A HELL OF A BALL OF WIRES TAPED IN A BALL , AND CAN SEE THAT THEY ARE IDIOTS CAUSE THE STOCK ALARM SYSTEM WIRING AN BRAIN BOX SHOULDNT BE PART OF THAT BALL OF WIRING. Y DO PEOPLE DO THING IF THEY DONT NO HOW AND DONT CARE ABOUT LEARNING HOW TO DO IT RITE Y NOT JUST SAME THEMSELFS THE HASSLE AND SET THE CAR ON FIRE ,IF THEY ARE GONNA DESTROY IT ANYWAY ...........

745

Balls of wires are never a good thing on any model. Sorry I can't look at it in person. I'll keep track of your progree