My service engine light just came on a day after my oil change?? I called to let the dealer know and they can do a diagnostic test but it's like 98.00 really??

10

Asked by May 17, 2015 at 10:04 AM about the 2010 Nissan Altima

360

is the car doing anything out of the normal besides the light

Best Answer Mark helpful

Don't pay $98. Matter of fact don't pay anything. Yet. I am not familiar with the Nissan system whether your light is an oil-change reminder or a CEL. (Check Engine Light) Either way go to a large parts place and ask them to do an OBDII scan. If any codes have been thrown that begin with P for example P0300 is random. misfire. Bring them back here before doing anything, they might sell you parts you don't need, and electrical parts can not be returned

Best Answer Mark helpful

https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/ManualsAndGuides/Altima/2010/2010-Altima-owner-manual.pdf Ok I downloaded the owners manual On Chapter 2 Page 10 Nissan calls it MIL or Malfunction Indicator Light. and text SERVICE ENGINE SOON. That is the CEL is other cars, which is a yellow icon looks like an engine. Same thing in you Nissan. A DTC has been thrown. But again, don't pay the dealer, all they will do is scan it. FIRST THING to do is check you gas cap. make sure it's on tight and the seal looks good. That is by far the most common reason for that light, a small leak in EVAP

113,645

As it is anOBD2 vehicle you can go to a major auto parts store and they can check the codes for free, write them down then repost them back here and someone will help you with further diagnosis.

10

Thanks so much I will check the gas cap and definitely go to like auto zone to have them test it for me and let you know what the code is.

80

I don't have an answer but I have a question on the same issue, I got the service engine soon light and then I took the car to get read and I Got 1) intake valve timing (IVT) control circuit failure and 1 Probable cause Aa1. IVT control solenoid open or shorted Aa2. Cam/crank sensors out of phase Aa3. Dirt buildup at control valve. Second thing was 2) engine speed input circuit performance Probable cause aa1. Open or short circuit condition Aa2. Poor electrical connection Aa3. Faulty ECM My car runs fine it's just the light that's a concern

113,645

Vanessa you didn't mention year make or model but so far i have noticed a lot of variable cam timing control valves plugging up, mostly poor maintenance causing the valves to varnish up, so that could be your IVT codes and in turn they can cause the cam crank sync code. So I would check the solenoids first as this seems to be a common problem with all makes that are using VCT systems. HTH

80

I will get that checked thank you and it is a 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5

60

i went over a large bump an my service engine light came on. i already had it checked out no codes came up. 2005 nissan marno

113,645

Service engine light is a reminder light that comes reminding you to have the oil and filter changed, after the service is done then they should reset the light.

20

EVAP driving me nuts service engine light comes on code shows then nothing the next time it happens. Gas Cap issue? The car did sit a few months and was filled for the first time maybe that threw off the system? Anyone else have this issue before?

30

The difference is the service engine light is on. On Nissan Altima we have the usual maintenance required light or check engine light. However this says service engine soon.which is entirely different. I have never seen the light like this I wish I knew what it meant. Going to run diagnosis tomorrow. However what maintenance services are needed after 100000 miles.do I need to service the transmission or anything else?

I just bought a 2007 Nissan Altima and tonight 1/27/18 the passenger air bag light came on and it showed no one sitting in the seat yet my mother-n-law was, then the service engine soon light came on and I lost all power even though the car stayed running, anyone have any ideas as to what this means?

10

@Sandle the same exact thing just happened to me a day after I got an oil change. What was the issue ?

My service engine soon for my 2008 Nissan Altima came on 5days ago after I got oil change and It shows code P0745 is that expensive to fix?

113,645

Go to: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0745 You will have to go through diagnostics to get a estimate on costs.