my tire pressure warning light won't reset

Asked by Jan 15, 2014 at 03:03 PM about the 2010 Toyota Avalon

I have tried holding the reset button as instructed but it won't reset

233,215

Have you inflated the tires to the proper pressure?

1,035

Before trying to reset something as important as a low tire pressure indicator, always make sure that it is giving you a correct status. Check all tires for proper pressure (proper tire pressure can usually be found by the drivers door towards the b pillar. If all else fails, the owners manual is a good place to find it too. Keep in mind that if the tire pressures are off, once corrected, it will take a few miles before light goes off. If it doesn't, press the reset button. If that fails, and you know all the pressures are good, you may have a bad reset unit. See dealer as it might be a simple fix. Regards, John

140

Oh I almost forgot to mention that the brilliantly design TPMS unit / system can go into a loop and all attempts to reset the unit are in vain. Oh gee let me see I need to buy an expensive tool to connect into the system in order to help it relearn what it should already know. Or go to a Toyota dealer and PAY money to have the system fixed or reprogrammed or what ever is needed. This device is something that should NEVER EVER FAIL as it is supposedly a "safety feature for the morons of the world, yet it is a constant issue as evidenced by this blog. I think Toyota should warrant the nightmare piece of shit system for the life of the car as it is supposedly a safety issue that has chronic failures. And last but not least the cost of the useless in tire sensors is around $70. each that should also be warranted for the life of the car as it is an part integral of the brilliant "tire safety system" I also want to be compensated for the annoying light that is warning me of NOTHING as is is in MALFUNCTION mode. Toyota can kiss my A_s.

Gartelhell, don't blame Toyota, blame the US NHTSA for mandating the TPMS rather than the TMS that the rest of the world uses! We just bought 4 new tires, and I asked the guy "We have an 8 year old Toyota, don't you think we need new TPMS?!" He responded "No". Less than 1 week later the TPMS light comes on, we check and all 5 tires are inflated to 35 lbs...dead sensor battery! I am NOT going to pay these guys to dismount and remount tires WHEN I ASKED THEM about new sensors before the new tires were mounted!

25

I'm sick and tired of seeing my TPMS light stay on all the time as well. I had isssues with my 2007 Avalon and now I have a 2014 and it has done this since I purchased the stupid car. On the 2007, the reset button was under the dash below the steering wheel. The 2014, the reset button is located behind the left side of the glove compartment door. I check my pressures manually once a week and they are all set to 32psi. I know that Toyota recommends 35psi, but I have noticed the middle strip of tread on the center of the tires has worn faster as the it is solid with no markings. I have a giant donut spare tire now instead of the full sized spare. I was told by Toyota that the donuts do not have a TPMS sensor on them as they run a higher pressure than standard full sized tires(60psi-Limited) I have reset this almost daily and my light remains constant. I'm going to make an appt with Discount and just remove the frickin sensors off of each wheel and be done. With my old 2007 Avalon, the light would come on when there was 7lbs or more of pressure difference between tires. My full sized spare was the cause for a long time as Discount Tire had damaged the sensor when I change the tire out. Discount should have replaced it with a new one since they always seem to tell you that they HAVE to do it because of new mandates. Idiots!!!

20

Include the spare tire...."all tires"

I have a 2001 Toyota Corolla S and recently my TPS warning light came on. I have found no reset button anywhere and I have checked the air pressure to be 32 psi on brand new tires that I purchased with the car purchased. Is there a reset button or is Toyota winding me up?