my tire pressure warning light won't reset

Asked by Jan 15, 2014 at 03:03 PM about the 2010 Toyota Avalon

I have tried holding the reset button as instructed but it won't reset

261,765

Have you inflated the tires to the proper pressure?

1,105

Before trying to reset something as important as a low tire pressure indicator, always make sure that it is giving you a correct status. Check all tires for proper pressure (proper tire pressure can usually be found by the drivers door towards the b pillar. If all else fails, the owners manual is a good place to find it too. Keep in mind that if the tire pressures are off, once corrected, it will take a few miles before light goes off. If it doesn't, press the reset button. If that fails, and you know all the pressures are good, you may have a bad reset unit. See dealer as it might be a simple fix. Regards, John

180

Oh I almost forgot to mention that the brilliantly design TPMS unit / system can go into a loop and all attempts to reset the unit are in vain. Oh gee let me see I need to buy an expensive tool to connect into the system in order to help it relearn what it should already know. Or go to a Toyota dealer and PAY money to have the system fixed or reprogrammed or what ever is needed. This device is something that should NEVER EVER FAIL as it is supposedly a "safety feature for the morons of the world, yet it is a constant issue as evidenced by this blog. I think Toyota should warrant the nightmare piece of shit system for the life of the car as it is supposedly a safety issue that has chronic failures. And last but not least the cost of the useless in tire sensors is around $70. each that should also be warranted for the life of the car as it is an part integral of the brilliant "tire safety system" I also want to be compensated for the annoying light that is warning me of NOTHING as is is in MALFUNCTION mode. Toyota can kiss my A_s.

20

Gartelhell, don't blame Toyota, blame the US NHTSA for mandating the TPMS rather than the TMS that the rest of the world uses! We just bought 4 new tires, and I asked the guy "We have an 8 year old Toyota, don't you think we need new TPMS?!" He responded "No". Less than 1 week later the TPMS light comes on, we check and all 5 tires are inflated to 35 lbs...dead sensor battery! I am NOT going to pay these guys to dismount and remount tires WHEN I ASKED THEM about new sensors before the new tires were mounted!

65

I'm sick and tired of seeing my TPMS light stay on all the time as well. I had isssues with my 2007 Avalon and now I have a 2014 and it has done this since I purchased the stupid car. On the 2007, the reset button was under the dash below the steering wheel. The 2014, the reset button is located behind the left side of the glove compartment door. I check my pressures manually once a week and they are all set to 32psi. I know that Toyota recommends 35psi, but I have noticed the middle strip of tread on the center of the tires has worn faster as the it is solid with no markings. I have a giant donut spare tire now instead of the full sized spare. I was told by Toyota that the donuts do not have a TPMS sensor on them as they run a higher pressure than standard full sized tires(60psi-Limited) I have reset this almost daily and my light remains constant. I'm going to make an appt with Discount and just remove the frickin sensors off of each wheel and be done. With my old 2007 Avalon, the light would come on when there was 7lbs or more of pressure difference between tires. My full sized spare was the cause for a long time as Discount Tire had damaged the sensor when I change the tire out. Discount should have replaced it with a new one since they always seem to tell you that they HAVE to do it because of new mandates. Idiots!!!

20

Include the spare tire...."all tires"

10

I have a 2001 Toyota Corolla S and recently my TPS warning light came on. I have found no reset button anywhere and I have checked the air pressure to be 32 psi on brand new tires that I purchased with the car purchased. Is there a reset button or is Toyota winding me up?

65

Hi, there, If your car is truely a 2001, it probably doesn't have TPMS. Ibelieve Toyota started putting TPMS in year 2005. None the less, reset button should be either below the streering column by your knees on the under side of the plastic trim for the dash. Should be off center from the streering column. 2nd possiblitiy, to the left of the streering column by your knees on the lower part of dash that faces your left knee, should be the most right betton labeled SET. Third possiblitiy, possibly in the glove compartment as a sorta hidden button. Discount told me to drive for 20 miles or so before the light would go off. Liars!!! If you reset the TPMS with the button, the light should turn off in 20 to 30 secs if everything is balance pressure wise. If all tires are at same PSI, maybe the tire in question was repaired and a has a sensor ID issue or was damaged. So that sensor may not be registerd in the TPMS computer memory if whoevere replaced the tires. It's very difficult to troubleshoot this issue. You could try trouble shooting this by starting your vehicle and then removing one tire at a time to see if the light goes out. That's what I did because the dealer was no help nor was Discount tire. My issue was a defective sensor on one of my tires, that they so called rebuilt and it wasn't, it someone got damaged when I replaced tires through discount and spent 6+ hours watching them like monkeys that did know what they were doing. I took that tire to them and told them to replace the valve stem/sensor. They were reluctant to help, but did explain everything they had done and what I had done. Yes , I did have to get ugly with the people at Discount for my time wasted as well ass fighting them to think outside the box. Haven't a problem since Theoretically, the TMPS light doesn't come on unless it sees a 6 to 7 PSI difference. This is my third Toyota with TPMS. When I say defective TMPS sensor, it can mean the Sensor is working properly because of many reasons. Batteries may be low( didn't get replaced with the so called rebuiled kit(Discount is notorious for this) May have been damage during reinstallion (swapping tires) You have a slow leak in some way with the tire( can try spaying soapy water all over with squirt bottle, then look for bubbles. Make sure to wash the soap off so you don't leave soap residue on everything.) Could be a bad bead around the rim, a small puncture, or even the valve stem) Valve stem and sensor not installed properly and or a sensor that may be too sensitive. If all these ideas fail, there is a possibility that your TPMS computer has malfunctioned or went bad. Regardless, it is a frustrating and very timely issue to resolve. Should be as easy as 123's. I would like to to install a TPMS indicator showing all 4 wheel pressures to help simplify troubleshooting. What ever you do, just make sure you have all 4 at the same PSI before trying to go any further in the troubleshooting process. Scott

20

NO I JUST CHECKED MY 2011 ALVOLON 4 DOOR ..I CHECDK UNDER THE CONSLOE AND COMPARTMENT LEFT SIDE...NO BUTTON TO BE FOUND.. WHAT;S NEXT?

65

I have heard that complaint with others on the 2011. I don't know for sure about the 2011 since I had a 2007. I know there were some cosmetic changes and chrome trim on the lower sides on the doors and LED rear lights. Inside, a better NAV screen and slight redesign of the dash. It's the same body style. Try looking under the plastic cover for the fuses by your left knee area. It could be behind it. If not check with Toyota next time you bring it in for an oil change. You could also try a tire center, although I do not recommend DIscount Tire.

65

It's not easy to diagnose yourself. There are lots of reasons for the TPMS light to come on. Low or dead batteries in each tire sensor, damaged or not rebuilt properly if you put new tires on, Pressures are not according to the B pillar specs, or a bad TPMS receiver on the car itself. The light comes on if there is more than 7 PSI difference. Maybe not setup properly after getting new tires? Cold weather seems to make them more sensitive for the TPMS light to come on. TPMS is just plain annoying on Toyota's.

65

In the manual for your car, pg 410 and 411 show that the reset button is at the bottom of the dash below the steering column. It should be either slightly to the left or right for your model year.

2011 location, hold a mirror under steering column and it's easy to find. Just to the left of steering column.