Is it normal for a small hatchback to sound like it's going into hyperspace when there at 10 mph winds and the windows are down and driving speed limit on the higheay?

Asked by Oct 24, 2015 at 07:42 PM about the 2010 Nissan Versa

I just purchased a 2010 Nissan Versa
hatchback with 27k miles and took my wife
and dogs for our first ride together to the
National Park for a hike. We just got home
and I think we might need a hyperbaric
chamber or something. Started out on the
highway with both back windows down for
the dogs and our front windows were down
a bit and it felt like we went into hyperspace
and our ears started ringing. And the floor
started rattling. Sounded like a flat tire, but
alas it was the wind pressure? That's what
the dealer told me on the phone after I took
a nearby exit and found nothing wrong, and
he recommended closing one of the back
windows. I closed a back window, but it still
sounded like we were pushing the edge of
mankind and the floor was shaking. The
manager said that's normal with small cars
when it's windy and (rear) windows are
down, and I could bring it back in to have a
mechanic look at it. So, that's normal with
10 mph winds on a highway with rear
windows open? It was windy but had no
idea of this. Everything copacetic when rear
windows are up.

You will get wind turbulance from small car windows being down,and yes some times will feel like you are in a jet with the windows down.But just to be safe have the tires checked for your safety.

Thank you. Will do.

During design, the aerodynamics are tested with widows closed, under the assumption that the driver will use climate control to be comfortable. Having window(s) down , just as TST stated, causes unpredictable turbulence. The constant changing of air pressure is likely the cause of the ear ringing. Even some exhaust may have entered cabin.

Thank you very much for your time. It has been awhile since I have driven a small car hatchback with windows down and this was a first. And I've been driving for 30 years.

That doesn't excuse my lack of knowledge. I'm grateful for your assistance. Thank you.

Hey, that's why we are here. - to help. Hatchback windows should not be open while driving on highway. I am not clear on if you had the hatchback window glass open or the doors. Now the floor rattling I don't know 'bout that .....See your owners manual Chapter 5 Page 2 -- if you don't have manual you can download it here -

On behalf of TST and myself you are quite welcome and come back anytime

Thank you again T S T and FordNut. I will keep the rear windows up while driving. I had the both front windows

I had both front windows down a good 4 inches and the rear windows were both down (for the dogs) when it happened, FordNut, and T S T, but I won't do that again. Thank you for the insights. I've also noticed that in the morning, first thing while reversing out of my driveway, the rear rattles or gargles a bit. The vehicle is a stick. It also does this whole switching into third gear, city driving. Is this just a car warm up thing. It doesn't sound major but I and my wife hear it nonetheless.

While switching into third gear that should have said, not whole switching into third gear. Sorry about the typos on this Apple 6 phone.

Perhaps I am just not used to the sounds that occur while driving a stick shift in the city, by there are sounds from the rear when accelerating or decelerating while switching gears.

But there are sounds from the rear that should have said. Again, my apologies. When I went to go back and correct, the comment was submitted. I have not driven a stick in 30 years, but this 6 speed stick is easy to drive and runs nicely. Just concerned about the bit of rattle sounds while switching gears city driving.

You need not apologize for one. Accepted but not necessary. The problem we have is not actually hearing what the sound is and try to diagnosis from a keyboard. If it shifts smoothly, does not pop out of gear on it's own, and the transmission /gear oil is full to specs, I say no worries. Especially if it does not leak and leave spots of oil where you park

Thank again FordNut. It doesn't pop out of gear, fluid is filled to specs, and no leaks. Just hearing an almost grating (I hesitate to use that word, as it's not as lound as a garbage disposal or blender, but it is a grating/gurgling/rattling) sound from the rear when starting from point a to the point of city driving at the get go and then when switching gears 1-2 and up to gear 4 when city driving. And it only lasts until the gear is switched. realize I am being perhaps overly sensitive since I just purchased the car and haven't driven a stick in quite some time, but never a good thing to hear something not running smoothly even if just when city driving. I also realize it's very difficult to describe via narrative. At any rate, I appreciate your time and efforts. You've helped tremendously. Thank you for being there, FordNut. Respectfully, Forrest