My car won't start after I put gas in it.

290

Asked by Sep 29, 2013 at 09:01 PM about the 2004 Hyundai Sonata

My car runs fine normally with no issues stalling or killing the motor.  When I need to put gas in my car it will not start.  I have to crank the motor until it starts but it will stall immediately unless I put my foot on the gas pedal and hold it there.  I need to put my foot on the gas and brake to put it into gear while continuoulsly revving the motor.  After about one block it will run fine.  We have replaced the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulartor, and the crank shaft sensor.  We also did a tune up with new plugs, wires, air filter and such.  Do you have any idea what else it could be?

261,265

You didn't mention the fuel filter.

290

Yes, the fuel filter was also replaced.

104,095

Did the station give you fuel or water?

1,630

The purge valve on the emission canister is stuck open allowing gas from the tank to flood the engine when refilling!

Best Answer Mark helpful
160

I have the same issue and I have a 2004 Sonata as well. I am looking for a solution. I have changed the gas cap, replaced the fuel regulator, did a tune up as well. Taking it back in on Tuesday to see what they think but I think they are baffled to because my car starts every other time but when I get gas.

290

Thank you so much! After replacing almost everything fuel related...it was the purge valve! I am one happy lady now!

180

This was so true..... my car was hard to start after getting gas, I had the purge valve changed after reading this and it's now working great!!! Thank you for posting it! One happy lady! *******

80

I change the alternator and the valve cover gasket on a hyundai sonata 2006 3.3 it cranks but it won't start can I get some help please

200

I cannot describe how grateful I am to have found this site. I, too, was having the same exact problem with my 2004 Hyundai Sonata. One day, out of the blue, I filled the gas tank, and the car stalled as though it were flooded. After a while, it "corrected" itself and started again. I, immediately, took it to Sears Automotive. The mechanics couldn't find a thing wrong with it. I thought it was a fluke. No problems until a week later when I, again, filled my tank. Same thing happened. Decided to Google the problem before going any further, and found this feed. Other people's descriptions of their problem read as though they had been sitting in my car with me. I ordered the purge valve, and my dad looked online at Youtube on how to install it. $36.00 later -- my car is working well again. My dad installed the new part today and I immediately went to put gas in my car with no problems. I am so extremely thankful.

90

where can the purge valve be found at on a hyundai accent

335

The purge valve in near the firewall. On my 2002 Hyundai Sonata, it is right behind the throttle body on the passenger side. It is black and attached is a URL of the general location depending on your car. http://i.fixya.net/uploads/images/f07dd68.png

90

I had the dome light put in since that the clock went out the trunk light went out the trip meter keep resetting and the gear shift light went out. What could be wrong

10

You have a blown fuse mine did that too

30

I am getting my car repaired right now for the same issue. The mechanic told me that the canister purge valve is stuck open and has to be replaced (after their diagnostic test). Under $200 for me. 06 Saturn Ion.

40

I have the same problem whit a hyundai santa fe 2003 uffff help please.

335

I would not pay $200!!!! It is a $20 part off amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SOJV3C? refRID=1S708KJ7C3FS3NBSEC3R&ref_=pd_bia_nav_t_2 And super easy to change out. Youtube 2002 hyundai sonata or santa fe purge valve replacement. You will thank yourself

20

Same problem...real hard to start was the only thing. A code came up for the crank positioning sensor...replacd it, didn't have any effect on the problem. From the answers here I took a shot and replaced the solenoid evap purge valve,problem solved!!! ALLRIGHT!!!! Thank you guys!

335

Your very welcome. I do 99.9% work on my vehicles. In rare cases I find someone to do it cheap and right. Google is my best fried besides my intellect. Anytime I can help I am here.

Hi guys, I seem to have the same issue with my 2004 Sonata. Is this something that will affect my Motor Vehicle inspection? My inspection is do, there is no check engine light on, no codes present but the overall readiness of the car still fails... Neither my mechanic nor I have any idea as to what in the world is wrong with my car.

335

Jeanette, I doubt it will. California does a smog inspection every 2 years and if your check engine light is on then its an automatic fail. They are checking for how much emissions comes out of your cars system. If you are really worried I would just have a friend or husband/boyfriend buy the part off Amazon from the link I shared in a previous post and look here for the location and how to change it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn9K2b5Zy5E Hope this helped you out. It is super super simple to swap out.

40

I have a 2001 hyundai Sonata Im having a problem when i start the car it idles then when I put it in drive it shakes them turn off when I put my feet on the gas it sometimes acts as if it going to shut off I have to ease my feet lightly on the gas until it start driving normal it also jerk alil while im driving I got a new alternator battery changed the fuel pump changed the speed censor cam shaft what can it be please help this is so stressful

70

I have changed the dreaded purge valve and still have the hard start problem only on refueling on my 2007 Toyota RAV4; 6 cyl Am I the only one left with this problem?

20

I am havin the same problem with my 2002 Saturn vue runs fine until I put gas in it then I have to Rab on the motor for a few mins and then it stats Crunk and drives fine

70

My mechanic said this caused by low octane gas! I filled-up with 90 octane, gas problem solved.It is worth the extra few pennies.

10

Thank you! I changed the purge valve on my wife's 2005 Hyunda Sonata after finding this and the starting problem after putting gas in it is fixed!

40

I've been driving my dad's Hyundai Sonata (not sure on year) and it has the same problem where it won't start after I fill it with gas, unless I pump the gas pedal. I haven't replaced the purge valve yet. But I was curious the purge valve being stuck open could cause other problems. Today I was driving and when I applied the break, it kept rolling even when I had the brake fully applied and kind of slowed to a stop. I was at a stop sign and when I started driving again, the car just died in the middle of the intersection. I tried to turn it off and start it again and it made a loud noise and wouldn't turn over. Could this be related to the purge valve, or something completely different?

10

I am here for the same issue. My car will run fine until I am fueling up. I am at the gas station cranking. Weird. I drive a 2007 Audi.

I'm so glad that I found this page! I got this problem on my 2008 Audi A4 from last year and it got solved after changing purge valve finally!

Hello. If I google the part for my 2008 Volvo XC90 it looks like eBay offers the vapor canister purge valve. Some have tubes or hoses and some don't. Do I need the part with tubes? Thank you!!!

Alright. Had this problem and was so hopeful after talking to Mechanics and reading many online articles about the purge valve, my mechanic was already doing my oil change and a couple of small things so I got my purge valve replaced at the same time. Went and got gas and was super disappointed to find out this did not solve the problem. Getting tired of making sure my gas station has a "runway" so once I get it in started and in gear it won't die again. HELP! Thanks.

I have the same problem with my Hyundai Elentra. I tried the fuel cleaner but nothing has changed