Timing belt went out and bent the valves so i went to salvage yard and got one and put it in

Asked by Dec 31, 2017 at 06:40 PM about the 2006 Hyundai Sonata

2006 hyundai sonata v6 3.3 liter. Timing
chain went out on my motor and bent valves
i purchased a motor from a salvage yard and
put it in my car. First the car was hard to fire
and start but when it started it was idling at
almost 2 rpm and staying there. Restarted it
and you could hear a little ticking come from
the motor and it started right up and drove
but it wouldnt excelerate over 2 rpms. Now i
cant get it to stay running its idling at almost
2 rpms when it does and there's no gas
pedal response. I replaced the throttle
positioning sensor and it changed nothing.
Please help! I tried hooking it to a scanner to
see what codes pop up and it says
communication error and nothing will come
up.

133,875

What year was the replacement engine?

133,875

You may need the ECU that went with the engine or perhaps your ECU could be reflashed to match the specs of your current engine.

It was the exact same year make and model

133,875

If you can get the serial number from the engine you could find out if your ECU is compatible. Double check all your work in case something was left unplugged or otherwise not hooked up correctly.

I have went over my work numerous times to be sure nothing was loose or unplugged. Where would i get the serial number and where would i check to see if its compatibile or not? I've never had this problem before and I've worked on cars my entire life so it's driving me crazy!

31,295

WOW- I know you thought you'd save money purchasing the engine at a salvage yard... BUT, the problem with salvage vehicles is you just never know how they were driven, how many miles or other factors like neglected maintenance .. all of these cars had timing chains..and in theory, the timing chain should last the life of the car... sounds like it ran low on oil....or something.. your engine is ruined... probably not worth replacement..... get a new car...or 3 year lease return.... Unless you absolutely love this model, get rid of it....

133,875

If you can go back to the salvage yard and buy the ECU do so immediately. The ECU will have the information you need, I can't say where to look on a Hyundai engine.

31,295

Reread your answer...so, you replaced the engine with bad valves and replaced engine does not work... good luck.

39,645

At the least the new ECU will have to be synced to the other modules, after you confirm you have the right part take it somewhere to be reflashed.

No my old engine threw the timing chain and bent valves so i purchased a engine from the salvage yard and switched engines out. And the description is what the engine that i just put in is doing

Thank you so much for your help i was thinking either i needed the other computer or it had to be flased but i was just looking for other opinions to try and be sure! Thanks a million

20

Why didn't you simply swap the head [s]?...You may still have that as an option...if reinstalling your orig engine..

I dont know i didnt think about switching the heads. Im going to take it to the hyundai dealer ship near me and have it put on diagnostics and hopefully i can just have it flashed to the motor that just got put in. The motor was literally exactly the same exact motor and wiring harness and everything.

133,875

Decide if spending all this money and time on a 12 year old Hyundai is worth it. Good luck whatever you decide!

Its worth it to me. Sorry i dont have a bunch of money to go get a new car im a mother of 4 that recently had a accident where i cut off 2.5 toes and part of my foot with a lawn mower. So i really have no choice. But i thank you so much for the great info that you have provided me with!