Why will my car suddenly stop accelerating?

Asked by Jul 27, 2015 at 09:27 PM about the 2008 Pontiac Wave

Please bear with me... I drive a 2008 Pontiac Wave 5-Speed.My check engine light is on
first and foremost, and my car will at random times stop accelerating...Like I'll be driving
and I will hit the gas and I will keep rolling just very slowly, and the RPM doesn't do
anything. When this happens I have to pull over turn the car off, and the car somewhat
lurches forward before the engine stops, then I start it back up and it goes back to normal
for a few minutes. When I'm at a stop my car feels like it's going to stall (even when I have
my foot on the clutch, or I'm in neutral). I've had the car for a year and I've noticed it only
does it in the summer. In the winter the check engine light turns off and it runs perfectly.

18,520

The first thing you need to do is have the code or codes read so that you can get a understanding of what's going on could be the throttle position sensor or dozens of more sensors that could be causing your problem. Getting the codes read will help you get a better diagnosis of your problem.