starting battery question

Asked by Nov 23, 2013 at 05:41 PM about the 2010 Toyota Prius

We took our 2010 Prius in to the dealer for a recall on the brake system. The recall was completed and we brought the car home. Two days later we went to start the car and the car and after pushing the start button the display was dead. I tried this several times and it would not do anything. I got out of the car and actuated the lock, unlock on the key pad and it would lock and unlock the doors OK. I got back in and the car started OK. 5 days later the same thing happened but this time the display come on OK but the car would not shift and the orange flashing light was activated. The display said to  put the park brake on before opening the driver door. The driver door was closed at this point. This was done several times with the same results. The windows worked fine! My wife got out of the passenger door and closed it and I tried the power switch again and all worked OK. I called the dealer that did the work and the service manager said that it was nothing they did and to bring the car back as they thought it needed a new starting battery. I questioned this as I have been a mechanic for 50 years and never had a battery that was dead and then be OK again. Anyway we did as told and $291.00 later we exited the dealer with a new battery. This has me wondering as it the car seemed to act like it had a loose connection at the battery or someplace else. This car has never given us any trouble or has never been back for repairs until  they touched it.
Your feedback will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Bill

70,225

If the battery was original I can believe that it went dead because of being drained, somehow, during servicing. Many years ago my Sister had an '81 Eldorado. She had the climate control repaired when the car was about 8 or 9 years old. The battery was about 5 years old. During the repair, which took about 3 hours, the doors were open which made the interior lights stay on the whole time. Two days after she got the car back she got stranded at work with a dead battery. I gave her a jump and drove her car back to the dealer. They charged and load tested the battery. It failed the load test. I took the car home and installed a new battery for her. The car was fine after that. So, yes it can happen. HTH. -Jim

50 YEARS AS A MECHANIC AND YOU ASK YAHOO????