My boyfriend jump started My 2010 Toyota Camry wrong. I ended up having to get a new battery. My radio doesn't work and the engine will not shut off now without having to disconnect the battery.

Asked by Dec 04, 2014 at 05:40 PM about the 2010 Toyota Camry

if they where connected backwards you will burn up your computer and radio and if I were you id get the boyfriend to fix it

That's what my brother in law said. Probably fried the ecu

well make your boyfriend pay for it I can find one for only 100 buck but it might cost a lot to put it in does your bro in law have any expertise

I think if you fried the ECU, the car wouldn't be operational at all. The car wouldn't shift correctly or even turn on for that matter. Sounds more like the ignition module. If the car operates normally except for shut down, I would suspect an ignition issue...not overly familiar with the newer Camrys but make sure that all the fuses and relays are good before you start replacing any high dollar parts...

idk it could be the ignition swith but y would the radio go out also

The radio usually has a fuse in the fuse panel as well as a fuse on the back side of the deck. At least mine does. But it's not factory...

well the ECU controls the flow of electricity to everythin mostly and th ignition modual has no correlation to the radio

+ sign is Positive (usually has a red colored cable), - sign is negative (usually has a black colored cable), if both or your cables are black, look on your battery. I promise you.... both of your posts will be marked on the battery its self..... Just for future reference. You hook up the positive to the positive on each vehicle and the negative to the negative on each vehicle. You take the cables off immediately as soon as the vehicle starts. It is also more harmful to the persons vehicle that is jump starting the dead vehicle. All of this coming from "a girl who didn't want to rely on a guy to help her" and if it were me, I'd make the boyfriend fix it or he'd get gone in a hurry.

that the exact wording of wht I said

When the engine the CEL on? If the Check Engine Light is on....someone needs to plug in a Scan Tool and check for codes. The codes will give you an idea as to what was damaged when your car was jump started incorrectly. By the way...why was it necessary to jump start thr car in the first place?

Crumbob, most radios all have a constant hot wire supplying power to the internal clock, that's why the radio isn't working. I'm no electrical genius by any means, but the radio power is supplied through the ignition system by turning it to accessory. All I'm saying is electricity will take the path of least resistance. when you send electricity backwards through the system, who knows where it will travel to? What we do know is that it did travel through radio since It's not working. The big question now is, if it went through the stereo, where did it go next? I would say it either burned the ignition switch or the module. If the car functions normally and shifts correctly, I think the ECU is fine.