Honda accord 91 keeps over heating

20

Asked by Sep 04, 2015 at 11:53 AM about the 1991 Honda Accord

My car keeps overheating it has a new thermostat we figured it was because
the fan would only turn on once the car is off, so we put it directly to the
ignition and its still overheating. It doesn't overheat when we are on the
freeway only when we are in the city. Can anyone help??

90,095

You are not overheating on the highway because you are at highway speed and you have an able amount of air passing through the radiator. So it would seem that the fan is not coming on when it should, look at the fan sensor. Also did you flush the entie system with a flushing agent, some of the passes may be plugged in the radiator, clean the outside fins of the radiator with a good cleaning solvent. It may be plugged with leaves and bugs. Also change you radiator cap. Make sure you radiator tank is filled to the proper level.

20

We did check the radiator tank to see if it was filled to the proper level and We replaced the fan senson and the radiator cap, I know the fan is coming on because its wired directly to the ignition.

146,515

I'm with joemom on the radiator being restricted from air-flow form the outside. The A/C condenser is in front of the radiator also, and if it is full of bugs or any debris, that will prevent air-flow to radiator. From what you describe, as joemom says, the air-flow at highway speed is plenty to cool the engine and radiator but in traffic or idle the fan, even running, is just not enough

90,095

Ok great then make sure the outside of the radiator is cleaned I mean cleaned really good with a good cleaning agent to clean out any debris.

20

I took the car in to get the radiator flushed and it's still overheating. I don't know what else to do.

146,515

OK, then with system flush I assume the coolant is full to the very top in the radiator, and the overflow tank should be about ΒΌ full cold. The radiator may have to be removed from the car for an acid-bath to really get it clean inside, or maybe even a new one. The old-fashion radiator shops are becoming harder to find, people these days just buy a new one. But a radiator shop really can make it like new. That would be my next step, a new cap, and see what happens. After that is water pump, I don't know if it's driven by the serpentine belt or under the timing cover on that particular car. But do you lose coolant, have to keep adding every day or three? Puddles on driveway.. or any smoke?

146,515

But to get any further... do you have the 2.2L... or what? DOHC or SOHC? But it does appear as it is driven by the timing belt, but can't say for sure until we know what engine you have ... and sedan or coupe? Trim?