Batter voltage stays low

Asked by Jun 11, 2013 at 11:57 PM about the 1997 Ford Mustang

My battery meter drops on dash. I was pulling fuses and found that fuse # 15 was
causing this problem. The accessories that go with that are the instrument cluster,
warning chime, and air bag. I think it's the air because the light is on. Because of this my
battery is not charging. I checked alternator and battery and are both good.

68,735

If this is a problem with your airbag system don't try to fix it yourself unless you have experience in this area!! The airbag can and WILL deploy (blow up) in your face possibly causing serious injury!! Airbag systems have a power reserve too. This is put in place so that in a collision, if the battery becomes disconnected, the airbags will still deploy. When I work around the airbag system I always disconnect the negative (-) battery cable then switch the ignition on (run position) for 5 minutes. This way I'm sure the system is not still powered up. -Jim

97,195

I have never heard of an air bag light causing the battery not to charge. I think you better have the charging system rechecked, there might be a battery draw via the charging system, ie bad diodes. Put a test light between the battery negative cable and the negative post, if the light comes on then there is a draw, first unplug the alternator and see if the light goes out or dims, if it goes out or dims then your alternator is bad, after that then you can remove fuses like you did before to track down further draws. Remember to do this with the key off and removed and the dome lights disabled.

145

Like he said maybe bad diode in the alt.I've had mine charge fine then kill the battery when turned off