bleeding coolant

210

Asked by Oct 25, 2009 at 07:35 PM about the 1992 Honda Civic

is it required to bleed the cooling system, if so, how on a 92 civic with a d15b7 engine?

45

do you mean a coolent flush?

210

basically, im replacing my timing belt, thermostat and water pump. i was wondering if i could just fill up the radiator and block and no worry about air in the system.

1,685

i have a 96 civic with a boosted d15b...pretty much the same...i change the engine oil and flush out the coolant myself...basically, the radiator flush thing will have no problems just twist the drain...then add a new coolant...but flushing out the block is a different story...after you flush the block, you have to wait for a while to let the residue reside then add another set of second-grade oil and additive, start the engine and leave it running for 30mins then flus it out again, now you put the high-grade oil and additive which fits the engine preferences perfectly...you have to chose a variety of oils and additives which fit the preferences of your block...you cant go and purchase any fluids which are not designed for your engine...there are classifications and viscosities of different oil brands for specific engines, unfortunately i am not familiar with that...

1,685

if there's nothing wrong with your water pump and thermostat why change them? just flush the radiator and block and it's good to go, maybe do that once a month...

210

what do you mean "if there's nothing wrong with it"? its part of the service. you change all three at the same time, and how would you bleed the cooling system?

1,685

there's a drain somewhere, you just have to twist it...are you gonna clean your radiator afterwards? maintenance and change of parts is actually a good thing..make a schedule for that, especially the oil change...

210

im actually doing a scheduled maintainance. i know how to drain the radiator, but i was asking do i have to bleed the system of air when i refill it and how. if i need to

1,685

it's not really neccessary but if you have to,just remove the hoses connected to the block and rev your engine, it'll flush air out but be careful not to rev the engine too much coz it might blow out the oil and it'll be a nasty mess...

210

never heard doing it that way, must be a backyard method

1,685

well it is a backyard method...it's the easier and cheaper way...

45

WOW....1st heat engine to normal temp with cap off 2nd shut off car remove the plastic twist plug at bottem of radiator 3rd drain, then close plug. fill car with water run car with cap off...til noraml temp and fan turns on 4th drain again do as many times as please you. then fill with rad fluid and run til level in rad goes down and fill til top .

45

running with cap off will remove air in system

45

dont do it that way ...to get your fans to turn on and get the fluid through the block rev it between 1 and 2 grand til the thermostat opens

210

theres actually a bleeder valve on top of the block, above the hose that goes to the radiator. i just open it and when it squrts out fluid, i had air in the system. when the fluid ran out of the valve with no sudden burst of air, the system was air tight, thought it took me about 2 hours to bleed it cause i had to drive it around to put a load on the engine to get the pressure up.