95 Passport LX Missing & Stumbling Bad

5

Asked by Oct 08, 2015 at 12:49 AM about the 1995 Honda Passport

First I ran it real low on gas, then the cat stopped up. I drove a pipe
through the cat, Started it up & blew out the pieces. Now it is missing bad.
It don't want to pull in reverse, It stumbles & shakes. It drives forward but
misses real bad. I've put fuel injector cleaner in it but didn't help. I drove it
75 mi. today, no choice. It's my only vehicle. It used a full tank of gas!
Please Help me. Could it be the oxygen sensor?

110,015

O2 sensor could have been damaged during your work on the cat, but I think it goes deeper than that, you may want to check the compression and the wear on the spark plugs and plug wires, do you have a check engine light on?

24,715

Sounds like you didn't really get everything out of the exhaust system- take it to a muffler shop and get a new muffler and Cat- don't cheap out-

5

I put new plugs & wires on it. It doesn't have check engine light on. Would it help to reset the computer? If so How do I do it?

110,015

Did you do a compression test when you replaced the plugs? If you have a bad cylinder it would explain the bad mileage.

5

I found part of my problem. I had #4 & #6 plug wires crossed. It has better acceleration now but still has a small miss. Will the O2 sensor cause this?

110,015

If 4&6 were crossed you better check the plugs on those 2 you could have fouled them out. If you don't have a check engine light then chances are that the O2 sensor is operating.

5

I'll check the plugs in the morning. Thanks so much for you're help.

5

I think the check engine light is burned out, I don't ever see it. I changed all the plugs, changed the o2 sensor, made sure all the guts are out of the cat. It helped a lot but I still have a miss. It's just every now & then though. It don't make any sense to me. I can drive 50 mi. & it don't miss a bit, Then I go to the store & it misses like crazy!

110,015

I had a similar problem on a Honda accord a few years back that was a bad injector, it ran great cold, but once it hot soaked for a minute or two the injector quit working, this might be what your experiencing. You can try a can of SeaFoam in the fuel tank and run it down to 1/4 tank see it it helps, if it does then you know it is injector related, so either keep running SeaFoam or Techron in the fuel or replace the injectors.