Passport was not having any problems, today i was parked in idle, the trans light came on, I check fluid was low, replace, truck still feels as if it has e brake on in drive, any ideas?

5

Asked by Dec 03, 2011 at 09:58 PM about the 1996 Honda Passport

1996 4x4 V6 automatic, when trans light came on the power windows stopped working at the same time. I have been told these trucks have a lot of electrical problems. Wondering if that may be real problem since i was not having any issues with the transmission prior to the light coming on. Maybe Output Speed Sensor? Any ideas

sounds electrical,what kind of trans fluid did you use and how much,honda has their own brand of fluid,especally for honda.

200

You may want to have the transmission serviced. I just replaced a transmission on a 1998 Honda Passport. These aren't actually Honda's, they're Isuzu, but more honestly, they are total Mutts! The Transmission is a GM tranny made in France. Its a closed system, and sometimes the filter bolts loosen, and the whole filter and bolts are left on the bottom of the transmission fluid pan. If you're handy, jack up the car a little, and get under there yourself. It doesn't take long to take off the tranny fluid pan and check the filter. A new filter kit and gasket costs about $25. Otherwise, have a shop service it, and get new fluid in there. Tip: The electrical circuits on this car are a bit complicated and strange. The transmission circuits are connected to many other strange parts. For instance, when my tranny went bad, the rear lights started acting funny and not working. Your 1996 has a different body style, so maybe the windows are connected to the transmission circuit, and if the tranny isn't working perfectly, then it could affect whole other systems. You could have a bad solenoid in your tranny, which is easy to access also. Do you have winter mode in this rig? Sounds like your first gear clutch may be going out. If your filter isn't bolted in correctly, your whole system will start to fail. Start there.

5

Problem is still same and truck is still running in limp mode, have better weather to work on it now so I will let you all know what I find out. Thanks so much for your answers, sorry for my late response. @Papa...so sorry i lost this question just now finding it in a search, not sure on tranny fluid but i will look into it. @Zacharyorion...I will definitely start there. Gotta start somewhere and I haven't a clue so I will let you know what happens in the next few days. Thanks again

When I start my passport up it idles in park. No clue what's going on?