Why is my car redlining so early

75

Asked by Jun 03, 2008 at 09:21 PM about the 1998 Honda Prelude

I have a 98 prelude which is a vtech. It usually redlines at 8000 rpms and usually hits vtech at 5500 rpms. All of a sudden it redlines at 6500 and there is no vtech, can anyone please help me out?

15

I can't assure you its your case, but sometimes the Engine Computer Management will shut off the v-tev and limit the revs due to a probleme...sometimes it can be just a sensor that stoped working or has a bad reading, so to prevent any serious damage the ECM will turn on a "safe" mode.

15

Not extremely familiar with that model, but I know my civic will not cross over into V-tech range if the motor is still cold for safety reasons. After the car warms up a little, it will. Are you waiting until the motor is warm?

15

1st that is not redline, it's just rev limit, redline is when your tachometer needle touched the redline on the gauge, Most case when a V-tec motor goes in to limp mode is because of low engine temp, low oil, or low oil pressure. Other reasons are bad O2 sensor, or other sensor going bad, or having a loose connection. Most likely your oil is a little low, or the car is not hot yet

5

what Joe say is correct in order for VTEC to work it requires coolant temperature, oil pressures and vehicle speed so most likely if you don't have VTEC check your oil level and your engine coolant temperature.

10

The last time mine did that was because I had burnt off nearly every drop of oil in the oil pan by driving like a complete dickhead. I noticed it didn't hit Vtec, and it was finding it increasingly difficult to rev high. Vtec requires oil pressure to function properly. So, have a look at that dip stick and maybe you'll be unpleasantly surprised to find the thing dry. As soon as you do fill oil back up to its proper level, you'll have your Vtec back and your higher revs.

255

This one is exactly as per my 1997 Prelude VTEC. Same conditions. Simply, pull the VTEC Solenoid, and you will find that the fine filters are clogged. Replace the unit and/or clean it to the core...reset and with a fresh oil change, that baby will run like a scalded cat! Been there and done that.

255

Also and as always...you must have proper oil pressure, which is necessitated by proper oil volume/amount! When the VTEC solenoid does not receive the adequate oil pressure...my car acts just like what you described as your problem condition. You know what to do. Good luck, Sir.