Electrical

60

Asked by Feb 11, 2011 at 03:38 PM about the 2009 Kia Spectra

I recently tried to jump the battery and mistakingly crossed the cables. I removed them right away and corrected them. The Car started right away and runs perfectly but some things aren't working eg. radio, interior lights, dash lights light up but won't dim, keyless entry, and so on but other things are working eg. AC fan, lighter,  sirus radio. If you have any ideas or if you know where there might be an inline fuse or fusable link I would appreciate any info you might have.

50

hmm sounds like you could possibly of shocked your bcm to death my friend lol

75

I am experiencing almost identical, I was taking out the trunk light and forgot to remove the Positive cable from batt. terminal and it arced after that the cabin lights and RKE don't work, the power door locks only work when I have the car started or "ON" position and I can't even unlock the car from the drivers side only the passenger side. I looked up how to reset a Kia Spectra 2004 and tried a suggestion from a website that says to open the diagnostic module under hood between the firewall and battery, then run a wire from the the port to the Positive terminal once that is in place you get in the car put the key in and turn to "ON" then hold the "Lock" button on RKE (remote keyless entry) until the dash lights go out. Well that didn't work or I bricked that diagnostic module, I am continuing to search for a fix for this as it is bugging the @#^&* outta me. If you find anything related on how to fix this please contact me.

their is a fusable link near the starter,you more than likely shorted the computer.todays cars are not ment to be jumped from the battery,their is a jumper box on them for jumper cables to be used.a second is all it takes to mess up one.

Best Answer
60

I just recently had it fixed and found out that it was a fusable link located near the starter. Unless you know how to follow and test the electrical you would never find it because it is a wire with the link inside the wire cover.

60

Thank you for the info. You hit it on the head. I just had it fixed and that is exactly what it was, (a fusable link near the starter). I wish I had your info before I took it to the mechanic, but thanks anyway.

glad to have been of help.

trace down the hot wire in in trunk for a break in the wire,if you do and see a black spot in wire that is the break in wire,also check the ground wire,check all fuses for a blown one.

75

Well I feel kinda stupid, this morning I got up and went out to the car and checked all the fuses under the dash first and found 2 fuses blown. I replaced those and my tail light is working and all the other electrical components I described above. I should of known to check those in the first place, I am in IT and the first troubleshooting step is "check the physical connections". Thank you. OTOH, I would like to install additional lighting in the trunk and I can't seem to tap into the trunk light wiring to run the 2 extra lights I have so they come on when the trunk opens. Do you know of any other alternate routes or have any ideas, they would be much appreciated.

you can splice into the tail light ,use a test light to make sure you hook to the hot wire,also you will have to ground them,you can do that buy spliceing into the ground wire on light ,will be the black wire.

75

That would work perfect because the mounting area is near the tail lights. I have another ?, I would like to disable the car (kill switch) but don't want a standalone toggle switch. I would like to install a IR transmitter/receiver to use with the key to start the car, I just don't know where to start or what all I need to install this. If you know of any diagrams or the materials needed it would be great. Thank You.

I know you can buy a remote starter kit,easy to install.

Electric fans come on when it it cold outside,thus when idling the heat gauge,goes down !! How can you reset them or what do I need to do ???

All you have to do is replace the ROOM FUSE from the inside fuse box.... that's all... it happened to me while I was messing with the trunk light

when i bought my spectra i noticed that the radio and the clock on top never saved data, so i checked the fuses and the constant on the back of the radio but it was all good. i did notice that there was a wire coming out of my fuse for i think the radio and it also had a much larger voltage fuse on the radio plug. now this wire ran all across the dash and i noticed that someone had spliced the wire for the constant and the one wire right below it i cant remember which it is. but i disconnected the two and my radio would not turn on anymore. so i connected the two back together and the radio worked, but i disconnected the extra wire and put in the right fuse. now neither my radio nor my clock save and its almost as if nothing in my car runs any electricity unless the key is in. also i remember now the wire right below the constant is the starter wire.

10

i have a kia spectra 2006 and when you turn over key it clicks in two fuses under hood i replace and still same problems and door locks click and all lights are flickering on dash