I have a 2009 Honda Civic. My air conditioner starting blowing only hot air. I took it to Goodyear and they tested it. There were no leaks but they said the clutch and coils were not engaging. I decided not to have it reapied there and they wouldn't tell me exactly what needed to be done. What makes the clutch not engage?

Asked by Aug 03, 2012 at 03:25 PM about the 2009 Honda Civic Coupe

2,175

Could possibly be the low pressure cycling switch. This is what sends power to the clutch and causes it to engage. Pretty easy to replace and here is how you would test it. Unplug the low pressure switch and use a jumper wire and touch both connectors in the plug while the engine is running and A/C is on. If the compressor comes on and blows cold air then replace the switch and you're back in business.

825

i find that hard to believe thats the problem. ive owned hondas literally...allll my life. ive never had that go out. yah wanna know where u wont get fucked over. take it to honda dealer. granted it may cost a few bucks more but u def wanna take it to a honda certified tech that has been workin on hondas for 20+yrs. dont take it to some schmo. also...do what dynasg2009 said. then ul know if they are blowin smoke up ur ass.

825

chances on a 09...honda...theres 3 main things to keep the ac in top working condition...the compressor...condensor...& freon. i the odds is needs to be charged with freon...are allooooooooooot more likely than anything. its a honda. as of right now...i have an 07 civic. never had any major repairs on it yet....only preventative maintenance...tires...basic crap like spark plugs & wires...fuel filter...air filter...fuel injection cleaning...brakes...etc that i do myself every 50k miles on my hondas.

825

goodyear as in goodyear az???

2,175

I have worked on vehicle A/C systems for most of my life and very knowledgable about all the systems and from the description this individual has given and the inspection performed and results posted the components I mention should be checked. From the description given after an inspection the compressor, condensor and evaporator and drier can be ruled out. The only other component in this system is the expansion valve and the high and low pressure cycling switches and if the system is not blowing cold air that means the compressor is not receiving the signal from the low pressure cycling switch to engage the compressor.

825

i agree with u 99%. i just find it hard to believe the expansion valve is bad on an 09. wellllll...even if it is or whatever it is...with the purchase of hondas...factory warranties are 5yrs...60k miles so hes covered....unless he already has over 60k on it.

145

I suggest that there is a problem with late model Civics. My '10 EX-L's A/C only blows hot air. I've had the Freon checked, it's full. Press switch and nothing happens, 2 coworkers 1 with an '08 the other an '09 and a friend with an '09 are having similar problems.

140

i have an 09, sme issue its most likely the low pressure switch, Freon test good, intermittently blows cold air. I have a buddy at Honda, says it happens multiple times a day in the summer time, its one of their favorite repairs, seems to me it should be a recall situation

325

REDNECK73 you havent got a clue what you are talking about. I have a 2008 Civic Si and I am having the exact same intermittant issue with my A/C. Works fine and blows cold for a bit then compressor shuts off and wont come back on for a bit and blows hot air. Sometimes it will come back on after a few minutes but most of the time it will not. Had the problem once before but it turned out to be a bad relay for the compressor. Now that it is doing it again a year later i tried to change the relay and that didnt fix it this time. You can feel the relay clicking and its getting hot but the clutch will not engage on the compressor. Honda service advisor at the dealership told me that its a bad clutch and coil and that i need to replace the compressor. An $800+ job. Honestly I do not trust the dealership because they always seem to eff you over somehow some way. Everywhere I turn I am reading forum after forum blog after blog of hundreds of thousands of other civic owners having the same issue and most are saying its the pressure switch. Last time i listened to the forums instead of the dealership the forums won. I think Im going to try the $50 pressure switch before I give the dealership $800 for a new compressor that i dont need. P.S.... The guy in the parts department at the honda dealership said that this is a very common problem in all of the Newer Hondas and they sell A/C Relays and Pressure switches like crazy cause they fail so much. Honda is fully aware of the issue but unless we all stand up and do something about it then they will not recall it. Just like the peeling paint issue they had for soooo long that they wouldnt over. well enough people finally got pissed off enough and filed a class action suit against honda and guess what, They are now covering the paint 100%. 8 year extended warranty unlimited mileage on the paint. Mine is in the shop right now and the shop the dealership uses gives a lifetime warranty for as long as i own the vehicle on the new paint.

55

I just bought a 2008 civic lx..is the paint warranty honored for second owner? My A/C does the on and off thing not less your on the freeway.. going to try the pressure switch r/r.. Thanks

90

Yes, we should file a class action suit against Honda, I had the same problem with my A/C on CRV 2008, my daughter had the same issue with hers and now my other daughter is having the same problem and Honda Corporate will not put a recall on the problem, for the future I am not buying anyy more Hondas.

90

Yes, we should file a class action suit against Honda, I had the same problem with my A/C on CRV 2008, my daughter had the same issue with hers and now my other daughter is having the same problem and Honda Corporate will not put a recall on the problem, for the future I am not buying anyy more Hondas. My daughter Civic 2010 is not blowing air at all and the car has 46,000 miles, can you tell me what do you think it could be?

20

I have a 2009 Honda Civic EX and since mid 2013 the AC has been running hot and cold. Before this I had a 1999 Honda Civic EX and did not have any problems, but maybe getting too cold.

10

I have a 2009 Honda Civic SI and my ac does that same thing. It will blow cold air for 10 mins or if I hit a bump it will start blowing hot air. Seems like there should be a recall if everyone is having the same , how do we get a recall started?

325

I finally had mine fixed and it turned out to be the compressor clutch and coil. Replaced the compressor and I now have ice cold air.

50

I have a 2007 Honda Civic and had my pressure switch replaced due to hot air blowing out and the compressor not engaging and still the compressor will not remain engaged and still throws the P0533 code to the computer and this code will not clear. Any suggestions?

40

how can u tell if the compressor is engaging. Mine went hot then cold for about 2 weeks..now its just hot. When I press the AC button I hear a click and the rad fan turns on. I cant see the compressor and theres no water under the car. I pressure tested the freeon and it seems to be at a normal level. Im close to going in and getting it diagnosed...Is there a way for me to self diagnose?

60

60

i switched the fuses to make sure it wasnt a fuse and still the same thing..sounds like everythings turning on and still no cold air

I have 2011 civic. It blows cold for the first ten minutes, then it blows hot. Turns out it's the ac compressor. The clutch gets stuck. I orderd one online since everyone wants a arm and leg to replace it.

20

Me and my hubby own civic's his is a 2007 mine 2009. We both have the same issue. We took his to dealership and to a very good shop, both returned the car because the couldn't locate the problem with it. They knew it was blowing hot air but, no leaks no other "mechanical" issues. He has a stereo installed and had wire harness replaced because of electrical issues and now his a/c is fine. Mine is the one that doesn't work now. If I drive faster than 60 it goes out. If I mess with the temperature knob God knows when it will turn back on. Research online seems to be the same thing with this breed of Civics. Of course no recall because it's not dangerous to be without A/C unless you have a baby like me and live where the temp get above 100 degrees in the summer. About to trade it in just because of that. Stupid car!

20

I have a Honda Civic 2009 LXS, A/C suddenly stop working and blow hot air. I checked on A/C relay lightly tape on top of unit then it started working and stop after minutes. Replaced with a new A/C relay from Honda dealer cost $27.00 and It is working like a champ......

I have a gdm honda civic 2007 model Looking to order the switch as I am in St Lucia . Does anyone know where i can o

30

Ive felt with this is for about a month but after a ton of searching I found this out. (This is for if your car blows cold air for about 10 minutes after you start it and then starts to blow hot air. This only applies if your confessor fan and ac clutch are both spinning when you start up your car and the clutch stops spinning once it gets hot) Basically the compressor spins the clutch through some sort of magnetic "force". After time the clutch separates from the compressor and the magnet doesn't get as much of a connection. So then when your car gets hot the parts loosen away from each other. The simple fix is to remove the clutch plate from the side of the compressor and remove the spacer (washer) that is inbetween the two parts. This will tighten the gap and the clutch will continue to run. You need to remove your tire. You will need a 14 mm socket to remove the bolt that holds the clutch. You don't even have to remove the belt. It comes right off the condenser. You can also rent a tool from auto zone that holds the clutch in place in order to remove it.

10

I just came from the mechanic and he said I need to have the Ac compressor replaced I have a 2007 civic ex coupe and the shit blows hot air in my face...Honda dealers are crooks too! I got a coupon in the mail for my local Honda to get my Ac system inspected. When I went there yesterday the guy said the Ac needs to be working... What the fucks??!!!?! They didn't honor the coupon. We need to get this on this recall. I also had this issue with my 2004 Acura TSX. I've had Hondas all my life I think I'm going to start looking at other cars... Let's get on this recall how can we get started

50

I had a problem with th a/c blowing intermittant hot cold. After replacing sensors And fuses and seeing that my clutch Fan was engaging - my mechanic tightened up the wires at the plug located at the wire harness. Since it was a guess they did not charge me. It has worked ever since.

I too am having the same problem in my 08 civic. Ac is charged but nothing but hot air. Really sucks because I live in Texas and right now I am having medical issues stemming from heat exhaustion and when I get to hot it's a very expensive trip to the er. 8 visits so far really don't want a 9th. Just thinking about trading it in but had never had any problems out of her except basic maintenance. She's been a great car

I used to be certified in mobile HVAC and I have an 08 Civic coupe. When I put the gauges on it and start it up with the AC on, the low side gauge spikes very high and the high side stays low. This means the expansion valve (this car does not use an orifice tube) is bad. Then the pressure switch turns off the compressor clutch. In all of Honda's infinite wisdom, they put the expansion valve RIGHT next to the evaporator core. You have to pull EVERYTHING under the passenger side dash, all the way to the firewall. Same on the engine side of the firewall. Also, after much research, expansion valve failure is VERY common to the 8th gen Civics. Depending on where you take your car for repair, this will be anywhere from $450 to $1000. All for a $30 part. Google "8th Gen Civic Expansion Valve Replacement." Lastly, I can only find one pressure switch, on the high-side line, behind the passenger side headlight. It is a three-wire switch and the HVAC unit is computer controlled (yes, I know it looks like a simple electric-over-manual system, but it is not). There are diagnostic codes you can get the system to show you, but I can't remember how...it is holding down a couple of buttons while turning on the ignition. Again, Google it. I cannot find a schematic for the 8th gens, so I'm not sure if/where the low-side switch is.

10

I have a 2008 CRV blowing nothing but hot air out. I tried to put some freon in but when I connected the gauge to the low pressure line the gauge maxed out on the pressure and I was never able to get any freon in. I had the a/c unit and fan on max and let the engine run for about five minutes before trying. Any thoughts on wether this may be the switch that some have mentioned? Not sure how to tell if the compressor is even coming on?

I am so frustrated, I have a 2007 honda civic sedan. The GDM version. I have gased up the dam thing and even changed the low pressure clutch. The ac works great for a while and then gets hot. There is no consistency in the timing of the issue. The local guys in St Lucia tell me the compressor is fine. PLEASE I need help Please

email me at jeanmel.thomas@gmail.com with an answer anyone

Hi I have a 2009 honda coupe replaced compressor brand new lots of freion still no cold air?????