WON'T START

Asked by Mar 17, 2007 at 09:49 PM about the 1997 Ford Escort

MY DAUGHTER RAN HER CAR OUT OF OIL, IT SHUT DOWN IMMEDIATELY.  IT WAS THE OIL FILTER, NOW WON'T START.  CHANGED TIMING BELT, SPARK PLUGS AND WIRES. WHAT ELSE COULD THIS BE?

22,850

Hi anitra ... Well, depending on the severity of the damage done due to lack of oil it could be any number of things. Timing belt would have been my first guess. For some reason I can't explain I am thinking head now but you are at the point where a pro really should lay hands on this engine and figure things out. You've already put some effort and money into this and it may be a lost cause. Just in case here's a no-start troubleshooting guide to help you eliminate some simple possibilities http://www.samarins.com/diagnose/index.html Good luck!

If the pistons got super hot without the oil reducing the friction, is it possible that they may have slightly melted into the cylinders? I don't know, since I'm not too familiar with this. I'm wondering if there is some way you can force the pistons to move--is it an automatic or manual?