Squeal Noise From Left Front Brake

40

Asked by Apr 08, 2014 at 10:54 PM about the 2009 Volvo XC90

I have a 2009 XC90.  Since Dec 2012, I've been experiencing the brake squealing from
the front left wheel.  The dealer worked for months to identify the issue, replacing the
brakes and rotors at their cost.  In May 2013 I gave up for frustration.  The issue has
been persistent.  I finally took the vehicle to another volvo dealership where the brakes
and rotors looked fine with some wear on the left which was replaced.  The service tech
drove and did not hear anything but advised me that longer drives would tell if the
problem was corrected.  It was not.  It does not matter whether the car  is driven in cold
or warm weather the only consistency is the squeal.  Has anyone else been
experiencing this issue?

20

Sounds like wheel bearings

40

Know nada about cars. The squeal is only heard when I brake. Still a possible bearing source?

100

A Small pebble will cause a squeal since you only hear it on the left.

50

Yes I have been having this exact problem with my 2009 xc90. The problem started about 6 months after buying the car. It's not the rotors nor the pads. It's the design of the car this is a common problem with this vehicle and Volvo won't do anything about. I have had so many problems with this car and my two previous xc90s that I am looking at legal action. If you search the net you will see the frequent issues with power drains and squealing brakes. As for someones answer about a pebble in my braking system I was told that crap also. After 4 rotors and many brake pads I guess it's a ghost pebble.

20

I am at the dealership now for the umpteenth time dealing with the squeeling front left brake. My kids are so embarrassed because you always know when I'm coming!! Sad to see there is no solution. Ugh!

I am also experiencing this same problem on my 2007 XC90. It began after Volvo changed the front rotors and break pads. I brought the car back to Volvo and told them about the squeal. After their review that stated that I needed to change the rear pads. However that did not help. I again called them about this problem and I have another follow up with Volvo in a week.

10

Great we have same problem with 2009xc90 just bought the car the squeal which the kids say sounds like a firework seems to happen when the handbrake has been on? My car due to go back to dealer tomorrow

80

has anybody found the answer to the problem?? Im on the same boat. thanks

80

ok! Got something that may help....follow the link below. Its a official Volvo service report discussing the break squealing issue and the service kit to buy to fix it! I cant believe the dealer ignore to tell me this!! (*&(*&(*&^%^% hope it helps others with same issue "breaks from hell!" http://workshop-manuals.com/volvo/xc90_awd/l6-3.2l_vin_98_b6324s/brakes_and_traction_control/disc_brake_system/brake_caliper/component_information/technical_service_bulletins/customer_interest_for_brake_caliper/tj21108/dec/10/brakes_front_brake_humming_noise/page_13925/

80

more...info part number is 31302582 bulletin number is TJ21108

We too are experiencing the same issues with our XC90 - very embarrassing and dealer has done little to identify, admit or fix the issue. Regarding the official Volvo Service report above, it refers to a "humming" noise- this is not what we are experiencing, but a high pitch squeal on application of the brakes. Will this resolve this issue, and who do we contact regarding this service kit?

I also have a 2011 xc90, we had the discs and pads changed at service and since then an almighty squeal has arrived. took to another garage who found nothing wrong. yes very embarrassing when slowing to stop however does not squeal at speeds!

20

I am also having this problem. I have a 2009 XC90. Front brake pads replaced, rear brakes pads and rotors replaced. High pitch squeal when braking fully while at a slow speed. I'm taking it in for the 4th of 5th time today. I actually have a video + sound of the squeal. I am hoping a solution is found!

I also have a 2009 xc90 with similar problem, very embarrassing, I took it to two volvo dealers with the same results, can not find a reason for the squeal when you step on the brakes, very frustrated!!!!

I was having that same squeal noise ,for about 6 months , just recently my mechanic try ceramic break and it work , no more noise n final I can step break without any squeal noise. So please try ceramic break it cost a little more no more stress, good to all.

10

I have an 08. My mechanic told me brakes are in great shape and have 30k miles left, front and back. Squeaky noise is coming from the caliper. Having it replaced. Hopefully it solves the problem.

10

I have a 2006 XC90 and I have the same problem. My wife hate it. This is my second Volvo and my LAST! I will not buy another Volvo. Do not buy the new XC90. They are having the same problem.

10

Caliper replaced and the squeak is gone. Brakes were/are completely fine. Thank goodness that noise stopped!

10

Did you also get ceramic brakes with the new Caliper?

10

Thank you, I bought new calipers, ceramic brakes and brake rotors and my squeak sound stopped.

20

Ive had the same issue for 3 months....squealing sounds like the brake pad warning sound. Replaced all brakes with Volvo and rotors. I recently changed the caliper on the LF side. It stopped for 2 days and has returned. But, not so frequent. I will make sure my brakes were ceramic brakes. My mechanic has been very consistent with trying to locate the issue with me. She measured the temp of the rotors and my LF rotor gets 102 degrees hotter than all of the other rotors. I'm also having my motor mounts changed that are gone bad and applying pressure on that side. I will let you know next week if that helped.

I have 2008 xc90, the noise that comes from the brakes when slowing down at a stop is driving me crazy. I have had this problem now for 8 yrs. Volvo service, nor no one else could help me. No one seems to be able to hear this noice but, me. Every time I take it in for service because of this noice no one hears it. It's so shameful pulling up at next to other people on the road at stop lights, stop signs, at church and at someone's house.. I am sick of this., I've been thinking to just purchasing a cheap car an forget about Volvo. This is Volvo number # 7 in my family, we all drove Volvos but, now my family members are leaving Volvo to try other brands. Everything about my Xc90 is cheaply made. The interior and the outside is quickly falling apart. Volvo needs to do better or else their clients with jump ship, I'm thinking about seriously leaving Volvo.

OMG. I got a 2016 XC 90 and I just started with that same problem I took my car to the Volvo dealer Sears my own mechanic everything brakes are normal still squeaking

10

You need NEW brake calipers. Get the new brake caplipers and your squeaking will stop.

Yeah I just bought xc90 nd it looks like anytime I hear the sqeaky noises nd go to the machenics he doesn't not hear nothing making it very strange. It's driving me crazy nd I need help with it urgently. Pls help me