Squeal Noise From Left Front Brake

ladyinmaryland
40

Asked by Apr 08, 2014 at 10:54 PM about the 2009 Volvo XC90

I have a 2009 XC90.  Since Dec 2012, I've been experiencing the brake squealing from
the front left wheel.  The dealer worked for months to identify the issue, replacing the
brakes and rotors at their cost.  In May 2013 I gave up for frustration.  The issue has
been persistent.  I finally took the vehicle to another volvo dealership where the brakes
and rotors looked fine with some wear on the left which was replaced.  The service tech
drove and did not hear anything but advised me that longer drives would tell if the
problem was corrected.  It was not.  It does not matter whether the car  is driven in cold
or warm weather the only consistency is the squeal.  Has anyone else been
experiencing this issue?

Tim Huddleston
20

Sounds like wheel bearings

ladyinmaryland
40

Know nada about cars. The squeal is only heard when I brake. Still a possible bearing source?

V4life
100

A Small pebble will cause a squeal since you only hear it on the left.

Deborah Morrison
30

Yes I have been having this exact problem with my 2009 xc90. The problem started about 6 months after buying the car. It's not the rotors nor the pads. It's the design of the car this is a common problem with this vehicle and Volvo won't do anything about. I have had so many problems with this car and my two previous xc90s that I am looking at legal action. If you search the net you will see the frequent issues with power drains and squealing brakes. As for someones answer about a pebble in my braking system I was told that crap also. After 4 rotors and many brake pads I guess it's a ghost pebble.

Squeeking
20

I am at the dealership now for the umpteenth time dealing with the squeeling front left brake. My kids are so embarrassed because you always know when I'm coming!! Sad to see there is no solution. Ugh!

Cienergy Trading
0

I am also experiencing this same problem on my 2007 XC90. It began after Volvo changed the front rotors and break pads. I brought the car back to Volvo and told them about the squeal. After their review that stated that I needed to change the rear pads. However that did not help. I again called them about this problem and I have another follow up with Volvo in a week.

Volvoe
10

Great we have same problem with 2009xc90 just bought the car the squeal which the kids say sounds like a firework seems to happen when the handbrake has been on? My car due to go back to dealer tomorrow

uflash
40

has anybody found the answer to the problem?? Im on the same boat. thanks

uflash
40

ok! Got something that may help....follow the link below. Its a official Volvo service report discussing the break squealing issue and the service kit to buy to fix it! I cant believe the dealer ignore to tell me this!! (*&(*&(*&^%^% hope it helps others with same issue "breaks from hell!" http://workshop-manuals.com/volvo/xc90_awd/l6-3.2l_vin_98_b6324s/brakes_and_traction_control/disc_brake_system/brake_caliper/component_information/technical_service_bulletins/customer_interest_for_brake_caliper/tj21108/dec/10/brakes_front_brake_humming_noise/page_13925/

uflash
40

more...info part number is 31302582 bulletin number is TJ21108

Shaz1982
0

We too are experiencing the same issues with our XC90 - very embarrassing and dealer has done little to identify, admit or fix the issue. Regarding the official Volvo Service report above, it refers to a "humming" noise- this is not what we are experiencing, but a high pitch squeal on application of the brakes. Will this resolve this issue, and who do we contact regarding this service kit?

alanp1969
0

I also have a 2011 xc90, we had the discs and pads changed at service and since then an almighty squeal has arrived. took to another garage who found nothing wrong. yes very embarrassing when slowing to stop however does not squeal at speeds!

prensessleah
20

I am also having this problem. I have a 2009 XC90. Front brake pads replaced, rear brakes pads and rotors replaced. High pitch squeal when braking fully while at a slow speed. I'm taking it in for the 4th of 5th time today. I actually have a video + sound of the squeal. I am hoping a solution is found!

Francisd
0

I also have a 2009 xc90 with similar problem, very embarrassing, I took it to two volvo dealers with the same results, can not find a reason for the squeal when you step on the brakes, very frustrated!!!!

washinton
0

I was having that same squeal noise ,for about 6 months , just recently my mechanic try ceramic break and it work , no more noise n final I can step break without any squeal noise. So please try ceramic break it cost a little more no more stress, good to all.

Allyb
10

I have an 08. My mechanic told me brakes are in great shape and have 30k miles left, front and back. Squeaky noise is coming from the caliper. Having it replaced. Hopefully it solves the problem.

bakers2016
0

I have a 2006 XC90 and I have the same problem. My wife hate it. This is my second Volvo and my LAST! I will not buy another Volvo. Do not buy the new XC90. They are having the same problem.

Allyb
10

Caliper replaced and the squeak is gone. Brakes were/are completely fine. Thank goodness that noise stopped!

bakers2016
0

Did you also get ceramic brakes with the new Caliper?

bakers2016
0

Thank you, I bought new calipers, ceramic brakes and brake rotors and my squeak sound stopped.

Colvilc35
10

Ive had the same issue for 3 months....squealing sounds like the brake pad warning sound. Replaced all brakes with Volvo and rotors. I recently changed the caliper on the LF side. It stopped for 2 days and has returned. But, not so frequent. I will make sure my brakes were ceramic brakes. My mechanic has been very consistent with trying to locate the issue with me. She measured the temp of the rotors and my LF rotor gets 102 degrees hotter than all of the other rotors. I'm also having my motor mounts changed that are gone bad and applying pressure on that side. I will let you know next week if that helped.