How much is a 105,000 mile service

Asked by Jan 13, 2007 at 12:03 AM about the 2000 Honda Odyssey

The dealer quoted me $1,620 to do the 105,000 mile service on my Honda Odyssey 2000.  This seems crazy high.  Is it within the range?  Thanks!

18,045

Hello, That is over twice what you should be paying. I would recommend finding a non-dealer mechanic and getting an alternate quote. (As long is it won't ruin any warranties ) Best of luck! CarGrrl

865

Yay carGrrl...also a lot of times there is the FACTORY recommended service and then the DEALER recommended service. Of course the DEALER recommended service includes a lot of extras that are probably not usually needed for the warranty.

170

I recently had engine serviced at 100,000 and they too recommended, new spark plugs, timing belt, etc. I grew up in the new car business and know this " When it's running well, gas mileage is still good, don't tune it. I may be wrong, but I get a head nod when I say this and the timing belt, well I'm not sure. I'm inclined to go further, maybe 150,000. I will then replace timing belt, have alternator rebuilt by a electrical specialty shop, and a new water pump. That's what I've done with other high mileage car. Good luck.

100

Hi the only thing that it is very important is to change the timing belt at the 100,000 miles. The timing belt is from rubber and don't tells you when is not good and if its break when the car is running mmmmm it is best to junk the van. Because it is going to cost a rebuilt a motor. Water pump work or don't works and the spark plug if is running good on gas don't replace it. The coolant chaing it every year because if you don't you are going to have to replacfe the head covers and it will cost you aroun 2,000$ or more. The transmission oil you have to chaing it every year if you have never do it don't do it now because your transmission it is going to start giving you problems. I hope this helps

170

My dealer wanted $850 to replace Timing Belt, All other Belts, and the water pump. I got an alternate bid from a reputable non-Honda service garage and they came in at $663. Next time as got my Honda serviced at Honda (Oil, filter) I left the car and told them I had an alternate bid and the amount and they came down to $700 plus tax. I think they're feeling the pinch too. Don't be afraid to negotiate, after all it's your money and it doesn't grow on trees.

Just so you know, the parts wholesale for this "do it right" maneuver are $400 including a belt tensioner and new belt roller, and yes do the water pump no matter what they say, because its driven by belt and has a bearing / seal to the inside of the motor and only cost $35 internet. If just master belt then $100. Full price at dealer for these two numbers can be 200-900 in parts. $200 for the average dealer "lets make some high profit for using a rubber master belt instead of a metal chain in our engineering design". The fastest mechanic in the world might be able to do this in 2 hours plus transmission coolant refill of another 30 min. Shop labor on this job is 6 hours min - thus 700 in labor. Home mechanic can do this first time in 8-10 hours. Conclusion: get a parts list so you know what they are doing to your van in this famous "110,000 mile service"

40

What are they doing for $1600? You should change the timing belt. The water pump is driven by the timing belt, and is easy to change at the same time. Spark plugs last 100,000 miles, which is a long time, though they are a little expensive. $1600 is a little high, but in range if they do a few more things, too.

10

The price may include timing belt, water pump, pulleys and other belts. may also include oil change, trans liquid, brake liquids^^ it is normal for a honda dealer

10

That's too much and my book says replace timing belt at 120,000. If you read your manual, it will tell you what you need and when you need it. The dealer is usually much higher than independent shops. If you can find a reputable one that works on hondas, I would recommend you use. them.

40

When I had my Odyssey done some years ago, I had a 20% off coupon from the dealer. That got it close enough to the independent shop price. For the 2002 Odyssey, the timing belt change is 105,000 mi. It might be different for later years. But you really want to do it. For most engines, if the belt breaks it causes major engine damage. Every car I have ever owned needed a water pump changed before 100,000 miles. So easy with the timing belt off, hard with it on. A bigger question is the oil seals. Also, they will change the coolant along with the water pump, which is also about the right time.

20

in 2016 why is honda still using breakable belts is the million dollar question ... ?

69,595

Belts are quiet. Chains make some noise.

Cost control (theirs, not yours). Pay now or pay me later. Nissan and Toyota went away from timing belts for good reason. Honda figures they have enough competitive advantage they can pass the cost on to the customer for long term maintenance.