Is my rear axle bent?

Asked by May 08, 2016 at 09:59 AM about the 1997 Ford Crown Victoria

I was in a car accident a few days ago. I was struck on the rear passenger side. My rear tire was flattened. I got it out of impound and put the spare tire on it. My boyfriend noticed the spare tire is shaking. He thinks the axle is bent. When I drive it i don't notice the car shaking. I hear that that tire is making a lot of noise. The picture i added was right after my accident. I don't know if it helps.

47,755

If the wheel is straight then the axle is bent. It is very easy to see from the photo why the axle is bent.

95,015

Judging by the pic I would say yes, possibly even the rear differential tube on that side. It looks like your insurance company will most likely total the vehicle, unless you only had liability on it.

i had liability on it. It drives ok. The main issue is the tire shaking. Which i plan to get fixed once I find out its definitely the axle. The frame wasn't damaged

241,835

and a new door.

95,015

Jack it up and block it so it won't fall or move, this most likely has a limited slip rear end so both rear wheel will have to be off the ground, start the engine and put it in reverse and let it idle and look at wheels and see if it wobbles, if it does then shut it off and remove that wheel, restart and back into drive and look at the hub as it rotates if the hub is also wobbling then you have confirmed it is a bent axle, even a slight wobble is amplified as you go out to the tires diameter. Note: you may have to remove the drum or brake rotor to get a good view of the axle hub. HTH

Best Answer