Gas tank door

375

Asked by Apr 17, 2014 at 10:19 PM about the 2009 Ford Escape

375

Sorry, question is has anyone had problem with gas tank door? Tonight when trying to get gas we opened the door (cap less) and went to put the gas spout in...there was metal covering the hole! Is there a switch on the door that is suppose to open this cover when the Door is opened? We had to leave with no gas...barely made it home.

113,145

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC5_S8UX-mQ -- check this out. You just insert the end of the nozzle. It pushes the spring loaded flap out of the way.

85

the ligh of gas easy fuel is on in the dash board ford escape 2010

85

the ligh of gas easy fuel is on in the dash board ford escape 2010 easy fuel which is the problem

113,145

Ok this what I have found. It's an issue with the easy fuel capless system. Some say to Have the code reset and then insert gas nozzle into gas tank several time to reset the sensors.

95

I don't know about why you would need a sensor just to open a spring loaded door. If you have to use a gas can (from running out of gas), the car will come with a small funnel to use to get the gas in. The funnel is the same size as the spout on the gas pumps, this is important because it fits tightly in the tank hole hitting a small pressure switch that allows to spring loaded door to open. If you try to use a standard funnel bought at the local auto parts store, the funnel is much skinnier and not as likely to push in the small switch. It will work if you physically push the skinnier funnel bottom up against the (small barley noticeable) pressure switch at the 3 o'clock position.

50

Thank you to whoever posted about the car coming with a funnel. Just ran out of gas (2012 Fusion (no gas light) and I have the cap-less gas tank so I thought I was screwed. Googled it and this post came up and I saw the reply about the funnel. Looked in the trunk under the right side flap and voila.

10

Not all gas nozels are created equal. If it's not big enough, the metal door won't release. Try another gas station

For real. People it's really a simple thing. Your owners manual explaines it in simple terms. You gotta be smarter than the tool your using !!! Over 90k and not a problem.

Just move to the next gas pump. I just had the same issue, called Ford, the Service tech said to move over to the next pump over. I thought that sounds ridiculous but I did it while he was on the phone and the next pump nozzle went in just fine. So weird. Not sure what that was all about. First time I have had that happen to me though.

Perfect! I had the same thing just happen; tried several different angles, but the nozzle wouldn't go in. I put my finger in & couldn't budge the metal plate that cover the hole. I found your response, drove to another pump in the same gas station & the nozzle went in like a charm. Maybe just starting the car resets whatever made that metal plate lock up. Thanks for taking the time to jot this down; you saved me hours of worry.

I just had this problem and did a search where I found this forum. I've been using this gas station without any problems. Now the nozzle wouldn't push open the flap of the easy fill cap on my 2011 Ford Fusion. After fiddling for a couple minutes I got it in, but it wasn't an "easy fill". I'll try another gas station, but it feels like the cap's flap has warn out and needs to be replaced. My fusion has 155,000 miles on it. The caps is probably only good for about 400 uses.