power sliding doors

Asked by Dec 10, 2008 at 12:15 PM about the 2004 Honda Odyssey

doors stick and will not open in cold weather.  What can be done to eliminate this problem

2,210

If the doors ONLY malfunction in cold weather, more than likely, they need to be serviced. That would more than likely involve cleaning the tracks of dirt and contaminated lubricants then re-lubricating in accordance with Honda specifications. KEEP IN MIND...I don't have a service manual in front of me. Based upon what you wrote, that would be the 1st logical thing to check and do. I hope that helped!

1,005

if the doors stick and freeze in cold weather... They're probably getting iced shut... My doors froze shut this morning... pain in the butt... I also watched the doors on a 2008 odyessy freeze shut today... It's a good technology... but it's not designed for places like Canada, where the winter is cold and wet. and alternating cold/wet no less. the Motor isn't strong enough to pull away from the ice. You could TRY spraying some water displacing fluids on the tracks and on the edges of the doors... but most of the one's I know (Specifically WD-40) are petrolium based, and will eat your weather stripping...

135

i'm not sure about "water displacing fluids" but maybe you can try some silicone spray?

125

If they're physically sticking, silicone all of the weatherstrips. (I'd use a silicone paste for a chronic problem.) Other things to take care of are the lower tracks. Check for "toy polution" if you have kids, spray white lube on the track. At the back of the upper lower track guide, spray some lube to eliminate "scrunch" noise when roller hits detent. Spray penetrating lubricant on the center roller hinge. When they get old and start binding, they can cause the door to not shut all the way. With the door stopped at halfway open, push the back of the door forward and back, checking for excessive play that indicates that the center rollers are shot. Almost ALL of my sliding door problems are caused by dirty junction switches. These are the matching electrical contacts at the front of the door mating to the back of the B-pillar. Open the doors, turn off the master swich and clean the contact surfaces with fine steel wool. They usually look like tarnished brass, but when you're done, they'll be shiny. If you got to the point where the door is not working at all and you might get a warning buzzer in gear. (Turn off the master switch to stop the annoying buzz until you fix it.) Clean the junction switches (Do both to be thorough.) pull the clock fuse from the right under dash fusebox to reset and hold the dash switch to open and close the door to get it back to auto mode. The 2004 model already has the updated swiches introduced around 2001-2002. If your door does not work and you have to manually close it, DO NOT CLOSE IT FASTER THAN IF IT WAS CLOSING BY ITSELF!!! The gears are made of plastic, and if they rotate too fast and then suddenly stop, you'll strip the gear teeth. Replacement of the door motor assembly is VERY expensive. This is just about all you need to know.

130

my 2005 left sliding door stopped working. I will try cleaning the contacts. Does pulling the clock fuse on a '05 reset the doors?

2,210

Are they on the same circuit? What does the service manual indicate?

20

On my 2001 Odyssey, I replaced the computer on the driver's side sliding door after it stopped working (to the tune of $500). Soon thereafter, the passenger side door had the same problem. We figured we could live with one operating door rather than spend the money. It's been pretty darn hot this summer in Texas, and the battery in the van died. Miraculously, after we got it replaced, the second door started working again. I'm not sure if this is the same as a hard reboot on a computer, but it doesn't cost anything to try (provided you still have the code for your radio).

75

If you don't want the doors to stick, try making sure that the space right below the sliding door step is clear of sand, debris, or, in your case, maybe ice. This is the spot where the door is able to slide and if it is uneven the the doors stop and/or don't open again. I have a 03' Odyssey.

Entourage power sliding door on the drivers side works when it wants to. it may open via automatic power when you push the button ... sliding doors

10

Disconnecting the battery will reset the automatic sliding doors, according to a reviewer on another Odyssey forum. Try that before replacing your computer!

Well sliding doors hopefully can be reset by disconnecting battery or fuse #13 on passenger side under dash. Once open manually, clean top to bottom including lubing tracks. Fuses 5 passenger side is 20 amp. Also by battery there is a fuse compartment holding a 30 amp fuse usually to the left of battery. Jwells1@cogeco.ca

Don't mess with trying to open frozen door. Let it thaw or blow the fuses and or $500 motor repair.