1983 GLC Cooling fan

Asked by Nov 18, 2007 at 11:19 PM about the 1983 Mazda GLC

Hello!  Just surfing around and ran across this site.  My son owns a 1983 Mazda GLC. He is basically BROKE and does most of his own work on the car.  At this time he does not have a repair manual and just spent some bucks on a new alternator.(after getting stranded east of Loveland pass, Colorado) The alternator is working fine now but I have noticed in the past that the cooling fan (electric) runs all the time.  Is this thing supposed to be controlled by a thermostat and only work when needed?  Would really appreciate any help so he can get this car in good shape.  Thanks,  Dave

yes, the fan is controled buy a sensor that is supposed to come on at a certin temp,sensor probley went bad, lot of people do not know where it is,so they just hot wire it to run all the time,this will not hurt anything,but the engine may or may not get to operating temp.hope this helps a little.

Thank you for the answer. I will call my son in Denver and tell him the good news. I kind of thought there was a sensor somewhere. Could not see that thing just running all the time. This is a fairly easy car (so far) to work on, so I hope it will be easy to find the sensor. I'm thinking maybe one of the auto parts stores will have a diagram of the part and where it plugs into. Can you believe this car is an 83 with 122K miles and still gets 40-43 mpg? I laugh whenI hear of the new vehicles and how we have come a long way in gas mileage. I once owned a 73 Datsun B210 that got above 40 mpg. Of course these cars were dogs and were made pretty cheap, but were good around town. I'll bet the car companies could get over 70 mpg if they really wanted to. Anyway enough ranting, and again thank you for the quick answer!