Help!! My 1979 Super Beetle will suddenly stop running while I am driving down the road!

Asked by May 27, 2014 at 04:59 AM about the 1979 Volkswagen Super Beetle

I can drive 20+ miles or barely 1/4 mile sometimes and my car will just stop running. It
doesn't sputter like it runs out of fuel, it just dies. The three red lights are all lit up, but
the radio loses power. If I try to restart it it will turn over, but it will not restart unless I
wait a few minutes. The more it dies the less distance I can drive before needing to
restart it again.

I just had it in the shop and had a cylinder head sensor replaced, but it is still doing the
same thing~!

On a side note: If anyone is wanting a good product for waxing your car... I bought
Mother's California Gold Clay bar kit and Brazilian Caranauba Wax and have done half
of my car. It is EASY to do and makes it shine! I figure if my car won't run right it can
at least look good. Like a girl who looks hot until she talks. If I don't try to actually
START and USE my car, I can appreciate how sexy and fun it is!

Use the car, baby- with a classic, you should have a good mechanic, experienced with old Beetles, and make him good lookin' while you're at it- BTW- it sounds like a carb problem- or maybe the ignition- it's a simple machine and will be easy to diagnose by someone GOOD-

I had a similar problem with my 74 Super Beetle. It turned out to be the voltage regulator in my case.

As always, it must be losing spark or fuel. To save money, get it to act up by driving 10 miles, and then turn and drive 10 miles back to the shop. when it turns into schlepp carr, find out what you lost. do a verify spark check. verify fuel, verify timing. If you can list the parts in the ignition system, check each one while it is acting up. blame the ones with solid state innerds, or fine wire. This would account for the restart after waiting on any vehicle.

If you have a fuel concern with vapor, you could use a low pressure electric pump instead of any mechanical pump you may have in use. I like the subaru ones because they dont make offensive noise. I am unaware of fuel injection being equipped on yours. If that is true, you could be after a fuel pump relay or pump.

Chris Van Kleeck

Ignition points maladjusted or worn out will do this.