does the electric fuel pump have a fuse? it doesnt make any noise when i turn the key on and it wont start but it will fire when i put starting fluid in the carb for 5 sec.

Asked by Mar 23, 2014 at 01:41 AM about the 1979 Volkswagen Super Beetle

If it's factory fitted it should have. If its been changed from a manual pump to electric by someone else , it's anybody's guess. Electric pumps do fail but they should make a ticking sound if they are working. Being very careful of fire, take the fuel line off the carby and turn the ignition on. You'll soon know if it is working.

is it wired hot to the ignition or a fuse under the dash if it is factory?

19,745

a relay behind the seat next to computer, the factory electric pump must have a good ground also currant from ing. on keyed ignition and a pump switch at the starter circuit ether one will fire the engine. Fuses also , check them with trouble light