why is there gas leaking out of the gas cap of my 74 Beetle?

Asked by May 13, 2015 at 09:30 AM about the 1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle

Leaking gas out of the tank has been a constant issue.  I have purchased a new gas cap, and my mechanic has also replaced the gasket.  I never do fill the tank completely, because I know this will happen, and I don't know what to check next.  Thanks!

39,095

The only thing I can think of is your vent tube is plugged. Here's a link.... http://www.volkswebbin.net/topic/80321/gas-smell-in-1974-super-beetle/