Air conditioning

Asked by Nov 26, 2009 at 12:13 PM about the 1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle

I have a 74 super beetle conv. It has a ac pump on the motor, it has factory looking slots in the sheetmetal below the front bumper to cool the ac radiator behind and it has a very factory looking knob just below the radio to control the ac. Everyone tells me they never had factory ac. Could you let me know.

Carl

Some cars did come with air, however they were not from the factory. It was an option that dealers offered and if taken by the buyer it was installed by a seperate contractor. My 73 also had the a/c. They are rare as most buyers didnt want to spend the money and/or didnt want the horsepower shortage.