Gas leaking out of the fuel filler cap to my 73 super beetle

Asked by Aug 07, 2013 at 08:24 PM about the 1973 Volkswagen Super Beetle

I have a 73 super beetle and when i take a left turn i smell gas. i got out of the car and
noticed gas coming out of the tank and running down the fender. Do i just have a bad seal
around the fuel filler cap?

7,025

Yes, buy a new cap and don't fill the tank up as full anymore. Stop "filling" when the pump handle stops the first time, (AKA don't "top off") as the extra fuel is sitting in the fuel tube and not in the tank itself.