Intermittent Start

Asked by Dec 16, 2012 at 02:27 PM about the 1973 Volkswagen Super Beetle

My '73 VW starts sometimes and sometimes just clicks. The battery stays charged and the person I bought
it from said that this year VW had a long wire to the starter (which might be the problem) and that if I
don't want to carry a portable booster around that I may be able to find a fix on the internet. But, so far no
luck. The lights stay bright and I may try to start it 5 min. later and have no problems. Any ideas would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks

96,015

It still has the same long wire when it starts five minutes later. First thing I would do is to clean all the connections including the ground wire. If it still has starting problems, have the starter motor checked or replaced.

Thanks, I'll check all the wire connections first. Larry

10

possibilities, one your bushings are worn out, or your solenoid is bad, but it turns so it could be the brushes are worn out and sometimes it just needs cleaning specially if you drove by a flooded area. rust and dirt build up over time and contact gets diminished over time.