Optima Batteries vs. 1972 super beetle

Asked by Oct 24, 2016 at 12:30 PM about the 1972 Volkswagen Super Beetle

I own a 1972 super beetle and I live in Colorado. Our winters get very cold here
and my little car doesn't like to start in the cold. So my question is can I use an
optima battery in my bug? Everywhere I read it says that the optima batteries
are not compatible. I want to know why they aren't compatible?

24,315

Have you tried a float charger to keep battery up in cold snaps? Is this a daily driver or a stored 'classic?'

92,525

They say not compatible due to the exposed battery posts and the battery height, it can short out on the rear seat bottom and cause a fire. If you have ever seen one do this you would understand why it is stated as not compatible.