1972 super bug not getting gas

25

Asked by Apr 02, 2015 at 12:03 PM about the 1972 Volkswagen Super Beetle

I have a 1972 super bug and when I go to start my bug it wont start because its not getting fuel. fuel bleed from my main line but not that grate when it comes out of my fuel pump. only fills my fuel filter less then a quarter of the way up. i changed the fuel pump but the same thing happens. any idea? lease and thank you

100,355

Try it with the fuel cap off of the tank, you may have a plugged vent. Also check for a collapsed fuel line from the tank to the pump, if nothing is found then measure the fuel pump pressure, just because it is a new pump doesn't mean it is a good one. One other thought is that the cam lobe could be bad enough that it is not providing enough throw for the pump to operate properly, in that case an electric fuel pump with auto shut off is the next best thing to do. HTH

1,465

Collapsed fuel line due to sludge and corrosion is a good possibility. Disconnecting both sides and blowing compressed air through the line should give a good indication of any restrictions.

Check the tiny fuel filter in the gas tank its the size of a ciggarette