72 super beetle blowing fuse when using flasher or turn signals.

10

Asked by May 04, 2014 at 11:59 AM about the 1972 Volkswagen Super Beetle

I just purchased a 72 Super Beetle and a fuse blows every time you use the turn signal or flasher. There is a spare flasher in the glove box so I think the previous owner already tried replacing it. How do I figure out what is causing the fuse to go.

Also, this was a rust free (completely!) bug with a little blow buy. In the past (I previously had a 56 then a 62) I just did valves and replaced the rings to correct the problem. The engine is not making any unusual noise, I have the service records showing very good regular oil changes and repairs and wish to know if there is any reason not to just do the rings vs a complete rebuild?

97,225

Does the fuse blow on both right and left turns? If it does blow then there is a short in the main power to the switch, if it blows on one of the turns, then the short is in one of the feeds from the turn signal switch either right or left. If you have owned bugs before then you already know about the socket problems. As far as your concern about rings and valves vs complete overhaul, my only concern would be about the crankshaft starting to wobble due to excessive bearing clearance, you might not hear anything as this starts happening under engine load conditions, but if you one of the few people that never over revs or lugs the engine then you should be fine.

10

Thank you soo much for your help. It is both and I will check the line to the switch. It's not a big job to pull the engine so I am going to go ahead and take the chance on just rings. It is not a daily driver and I am not a high rev kind of guy so I can take chance. Thanks again