Starter Problems

Asked by May 02, 2014 at 08:05 AM about the 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle

I Just got a 1971 volkswagen, and it will start up but it won't keep running. I think it's
something with the starter but I'm not sure

19,715

Dear Cymbals- congratulations! You are now embarking on a journey of automotive discovery- like many hippies from the '60s you will find out all the many secrets of German machinery- from one of the simplest, most reliable lab experiments ever created- 1st lesson: if the starter motor is turning the engine, it is good, doing it's job- if the engine does not stay running once started, the problem lies somewhere else- gas and spark keep an engine running- your journey of discovery begins there- gas and spark- ooommmmmmm

31,295

Yeah, like what jamnblues said. You got one groove ride man.

140

Sounds like a bad connection. Possible the voltage regulator.