High mount brake light doesn't work?

5

Asked by Apr 27, 2014 at 09:25 AM about the 1998 Ford Windstar Cargo

I've replaced all three bulbs in the high mount fixture,. I've checked the main brake light
switch at the foot pedal and found it working perfectly. I've opened up all the wire
bundles in the rear door/ taillights / rear headliner areas and have found nothing amiss.
I've checked all the connections and found all to be clean and tight. I've pulled the rear
(LH) taillight ground to the body, found it OK but still sanded it off, and made sure it's
sound. I bought a new relay and swapped it out and this didn't change a thing.
I'm stumped, please advise.

5

I found it!! On the right hand top of the rear door, I found the primary ground wire partially broken. It was buried in the rubber boot pass through from the body to the door. After 16 years of open and close the heavy gauge (12 or 14) stranded type wire fractured several strands. It was not a complete break which allowed many other lights to work which caused confusion. I spliced in a new piece, soldered and insulated it well and everything works great.