1992 vandura 2500 . tranny makes a noise like holding baseball cards against tire spokes. Hardly ever goes into gear at all

Asked by Feb 25, 2015 at 08:30 PM about the 1992 GMC Vandura

wont go into gear. automatic tranns. is there a posibility of a fluid pump out, or a sensor, or is there a vacuum line I need to look for?

That does sound good. No fluid or vacuum will let it make a rattling noise. Sounds like you need a new trans. Might be time for a newer vehicle. Not worth putting $2-$3K into that van. Have it towed to your local garage so they can diagnose the problem before you make a decision

I take it you forgot the "not" as in that does not sound good. Im full of fluid; but, the sound is not"rattling" it's more of a fluttering. I had an old K car which had a sideways engine, and it had a single bolt that aligned one portion of the engine/tranny. That bolt broke from extreem dips in the country, and the trans made a similar clatter ,even though it ran. I think the tranny of my GMC Vandura is not shot, as you suggest; I think there is another problem /fix. But thankx anywayz. Im a fix it guy, not a trow it out guy