what does it mean when I try to start the car and it just clicks?

Asked by Mar 04, 2012 at 03:40 PM about the 1997 Chrysler Intrepid

30

Your battery is nearly dead. Charge it, get a jump start or replace the battery

20

Replace your Battery, bring the old one with you to get the core charge back

85

battery, maybe the alternator also. - Alternator isnt charging the battery

1,535

The "click" you here is the starter being engaged,but without ample battery power to turn the motor over. The charge light on the dash,lights when current flows from the battery to the vehicle ignition system.When the charging system {alternator} is working properly the current is reversed.So the battery stays charged. Off and on light is voltage regulator problem an internal part of the alternator With that light on your car won't run long.When battery is drained electronic ignition will no longer function and engine dies.

25

There might be a slow electric leak, especially if you're using lots of stuff, ie. phone charger, stereo, GPS, heater,etc.

1,535

It's called a "power drain" .water leaks. If your battery has a dead cell or bad connections .It will not hold a charge.If your dash has a needle indicator and also a light.See if moves more to the left from center. If it does but your battery light Isn't on .That would mean you should have the output of your alternator checked.It should put out 14 volts dc at idle.

430

my battery shows to have plenty of charge on a tester...even hooked it up as a jump and try to start but still clicks, it was tryen to turn over, but after checking the fuses as why no turn over, it begain to click.

290

I have a 99 buick centery and I have the same problem. I have already replaced the battery and now I think it is my starter because every time I turn the key the starter clicks. I just want to know if it really could be the starter or is it something else cause I know for sure its not the battery now lol

60

When trying to turn my truck over it makes a clicking sound but all the lights on the dash won't light up. We put in a new starter

10

It's a starter problem

Starter is jammed. tap on it with a hammer to temp free it long enough to start. Seek help from a mechanic if issue persists.

30

I have an 08 Kia Sorrento. I replaced the battery in December of 2015 and now when I attempt, I hear clicking and then a sluggish wanting to start, and then finally nothing but clicking.