Why am i losing so much coolant?

45

Asked by Aug 26, 2009 at 04:21 PM about the 1998 Ford Mustang

I have a 1998 Mustang v6 and i realized last weekend i was very low on coolant, so i filled it up to somewhere between full hot and full cold, now (wednesday) i am low AGAIN! I looked for any puddles or signs of leaks on my hoses but everything was dry, my radiator is in good shape and the coolant reservoir doesn't leak. I know fords suck up coolant but this is rediculous!! Please help.

7,515

Is any smoke (white or blueish in color) coming from the exhaust? If yes, what color? If not have the cooling system pressure tested, a lot of times it's near impossible to find a leak because it may only spray when teh system is under pressure.

75

or you may need a heater core. have you ever stepped inside to find your carpet wet, or get this strong antifreeze smell, or have this mist fog up your windshield from the inside, but when you wipe it it just smears? then it could be you heater core. if so, the part's like $40, but labor is $1200 (the estimate i got for my gt). i was able to do mine myself. it isnt that hard of a job, just takes a couple hours.

45

i haven't seen any smoke coming from my exhaust of any color. Thank you for your response i will have to get the pressure tested soon.

45

Thankfully i haven't had that problem, I've never seen those symptoms. Thank you for your reply!

When was the last time you replaced the waterpump. they typically weep when they fail and that only happens when the car is running.

45

the water pump to my knowledge is original (1998)

Bingo! they seldom last more than 100k miles,are recommended for replacement every 60k miles and being that its accessory driven, the harder you accelerate the harder it accelerates too. Go spend about $50 and an hour or 2 and replace it. If you wanna get performance gains, buy an electric one.. but those cost about $380 for the water pump and the controller although they can gain you 7-15 hp as well.

45

thanks, i only have 49k on my car but it is still an old part and probably needs to be replaced