worn hinge

15

Asked by Jan 07, 2008 at 12:09 PM about the 1994 GMC Sonoma

Hey guys

We just finished replacing the pin and bushings on the drivers side door of our 94 Sonoma. It's still sagging a bit and we noticed that the top of the hinge attached to the door(not truck) has become almost an oval. Is there any way to fix this without replacing the hinge itself? Some type of bushing/grommet that could make it circular in shape again? Would appreciate any ideas on how to fix this!

14,665

Take a hammer to it. That usually works.

15

Really? That would work... Hmmm... Might have to try it as there's nothing really to lose

43,925

I'd try the hammer trick as well.

15

Also, if i do the hammer thing, will it weaken the hinge any and continue to wear through or should it be good?

go to local parts store and get 2 door hinge pins it also comes with the bushings.to install,put floor jack under door at back jack a little just enought to hold door and let pressure off pins,knock old pins out and replace.

55

ok, do not use a hammer, i know this may be a little late by now but please dont use a hammer, the only real way to fix it properly would be to get the new hinges, the only other way to do it without damagind the vehicle would be to weld more metal to the hinge, in which case you are doing more work then just putting new hinges on.