I just had my front brakes/rotors and rear drums replaced on my 98 Ford Escort. The mechanic also replaced my serpentine belt and rotated my tires. 5 days later, there is a loud noise coming from my drivers side front tire. I am worried that it is my CV axle. Is this somthing the mechanic would have noticed while he was doing all the work on my car?

10

Asked by Jun 09, 2013 at 12:21 PM about the 1998 Ford Escort

21,775

If the CV failed or is failing, it would sound like a loud clicking every time you turn a certain direction. The mechanic wouldn't have noticed the CV if it hadn't failed yet but would have noticed a torn CV boot or other defect. Hard to say what he'd notice or not notice since I wasn't there. The only way (other than disassembling it) to tell if a CV is failing is by the noise it makes when cornering and the tell-tale sigh of a torn or missing boot. Can you better describe the sound and when it occurs?

10

It is a loud clincking while driving, but not necessarily while turning. I was driving on a straight road when the noise started. At first it sounded like something had hit the underside of my car or that I may have gotten a flat tire, so I pulled over to check and everything looked fine. Got back on the road and the noise came right back. I'm worried about driving it back to the shop and causing further damage.

21,775

If in doubt, have it towed. If the Shop is responsible of the failure (forgot to tighten something etc.) ask that they pay for the tow. You might call them and explain what's going on. A reputable shop will at least offer look at it.

10

Thank you Tracy!

125

He could have left the caliper mount loose and its clunking back a fouth but i would surely think that they would notice when they tightened the caliper to it unless it was just barely snug.

21,775

Come to think of it, missing rattle clips and worn caliper pins will make noise too. I still wouldn't drive it without knowing if it's safe or not. Heck, they may have left the lugs loose too!

10

Got it towed, we'll see what happens tomorrow. Thank you for your feedback!

10

Forgot to update. Turns out it was a loose caliper pin after all. He said he wouldn't charge me for it. Then as i'm driving on the freeway I notice they didn't shut my hood good. But so far the tire is fine..

21,775

Awesome! Glad to hear that it wasn't major.

My question is I took my 2003 zx2 to a shop 4weeks ago to get alot of things done I'm not going to get into all the things I got done lets say I spend around 986.00 dollars...one particular thing I had done was all of my brakes all the way around everything renewed brand new everything ..........for the last 3 weeks I've been having to go back every week for them to redo my back drums becsuse they say they put a new drum on there because the other one was defected... everytime I take it back they say they put a new drum on there because the other one was defective and I'm still taking it back I'm going to take it to Ford ...for them to let me know what are they doing wrong so could you tell me are they shaving my drum down because it is still have a knocking sound in the rear drum on the driver side first it was the passenger side in the back now its continuously on the driver side this is the 4th time i taking my car back I'm going to have ford inspected this friday...i think they putting cheap parts....I just want to know what do you think they're doing

When I smash down on my breaks I hear a knocking sound in the rear drum on the driver side this will be the 4th time I will be taking my car back to them to redo it again I don't understand this so now I'm going to take it to Ford for them to inspect their work and let me know what are they really doing to my rear drums first itt had a knocking sound inside the it had a knocking sound inside the drum I took it back now is the driver's side knocking inside the drum what is really going on