turns over got spark got fule wont start

110

Asked by Jul 06, 2012 at 10:32 PM about the 1998 Ford Escort

was driving to work one morning it died but restarted. Car behaved fine when running but died several times then wouldn't restart. Replaced fuel pump. Has spark at distributor.    

fuel filter1/ 2battery terminal 3? could be more more then many likely 1 if not check power to fuel pump and battery connects all

110

Already checked all of that. Every thing seems fine just wont start

4,215

How many miles on it? If over 75K has the timing belt ever been changed? Slipped timing belt will cause exactly what you describe. I posted the troubleshooting procedure on another post just a couple days ago. Will see if I can find it and I'll copy and paste later. Stay tuned and good luck!

4,215

If the Check Engine light came on, there is a code stored in the PCM. If you have a scanner you can extract that code and it will point us in the direction of the problem. By VCT are you referring to the Zetec with Variable Cam Timing? Now, in absense of a code, has the timing belt ever been changed on this car? If not, I suspect that it has slipped or broken and that is the problem. It will both make the car quit running and can make strange sounds when valves hit piston tops. Severe damage may have occurred if the belt broke. If it only slipped you might have dodged a bullet. This is easy to diagnose. Remove the spark plugs and valve cover. You'll now be able to visually check if the timing belt is broken. If its there, turn the engine until you feel air pushing through the plug hole. Stick a long scredriver down the hole and turn the engine by hand until the screwdriver stops rising and starts down. Back up to the peak point of screwdriver lift. This is Top Dead Center. Ther are slots in the back of the camshaft that now should be lined up parallel to the gasket surface. If these slots are not lined up together so a straight piece of steel or a ruler can be inserted to lock the cams together, one or both have slipped on the belt. Let us know what you find. Good Luck!

110

Timing belt is perfect. Monitor shows no codes. New cam sensor. Has spark and fuel. Still wont start

375

Are the plugs wet after trying to start several times? If not you may have no fuel going to the injectors. It takes a lot of diagnostic tools to troubleshoot it perfectly without throwing money at the problem in parts trying things. For the diy person throwing parts at it is sometimes cheaper if you do little stuff like plugs, pcv, air filter, fuel filter and CCRM relay box. Be sure and put a code scanner on the ODB port under the dash and get the fault codes and google them. I hope and pray it is not your crankshaft position sensor as it is kinda hard to change. Some fuel rails have a sharder valve you can test fuel pressure, some dont. Start with the easiest item to swap and cheapest first. If that doesen't work progress onto more expensive parts. If all else fails, hire a retired ford mechanic :)

150

I have the same problem with my 97' Ford Escort. Miles over 100K. Replaced fuel filter, no results. Will turn over just fine, start to run for a second, and die. Going to replace all fuel-related fuses next... wish me luck.

190

Having same problem with my 96 escort fuel spark all there new coil plugs wires how's no codes for sensor what should I do

240

have 99 Ford Escort Sports will crank over like its wants to start replace the coil pack and still does the same thing

210

I have a 97 escort just replaced fuel pump and filter and am now getting fuel pressure but still no start

180

my 97 escort wont start. I have changed Spark plugs, wires, starter, starter control lock, ccr module, neutral safety switch, fuel pump and filter fine, no codes on the odb. The only code that comes up shows up on the steering wheel it says F0RD and I think that's the answer but if you know another let me know.

100

I wish at least one of the folks who had this problem would post the solutions when they finally found them!!!!!!!

180

Well director. I found out what was wrong with it. It is a ford so to fix it I just bought a cruze. Lol that's true. But I did end up also fixing the ford and it was the wiring. Took it to a shop and had them rewire it. Wi tks fine now.

40

Valve cover gasket is bad ..dumping water in ur plugs

90

I got a 96 escort. It barely want to start. Before that happened it would cut off on me while sitting in idle. Now I have to wait a few hours just to start it. The check engine light is on.

145

ignition control module this happen to me to

30

2000 ford escort start run wrong stopping

80

i have a 1998 explorer getting fire and fuel. changed cam and crank sensors. still wont start. bottle feed it and it fires up but dies again. obd scanner wont read the computer and no check engine light on either. please help

130

Try a relay under the passenger side dash . It worked

10

I have a 2000 zx2 and it runs great but dies when stopping check engine light came on had it check cam sensor

10

What stop the water from flowing through the block

I have 2000 Honda civic dx. I recently replaced my distributer, rotor cap and plugs and wires. RePlaced the mass air flow sencor and the crank positioning sensor. The throttle body also. The car turns over but won't start up. It seems to want to start but just wont. Please help. What sencor could halt it fromay starting up.