1998 Escort stopped running

Asked by Aug 14, 2010 at 02:48 PM about the 1998 Ford Escort

Driving down the road, just stopped running. Plenty of crank but no start. When I turn the ignition I can hear the fuel pump start up. If I don't have spark which I am guessing, what next ?

have your coil pack checked,it may have burned out.how long do you here the fuel pump run,is it own and off or is it 2 to 3 seconds.if on off it may be bad,check your fuel pressure,is a valve on fuel rail going to injectors.

130

A similar thing happened to me the other night. I was driving down the highway and everthing was fine. I took an exit, waited at the light, turned left, then headed down a little hill to a gas station. As I banked the corner into the gas station, my car stalled out while in motion and I coasted to a stop. It tries to start when I turn the ignition, but it just won't start. Did you figure out the cause? I would be interested to know what you found since my situation sounds so similar. (772)336-0297.

175

It happened to me. It was running, I parked in front of my house, and later when I wanted to go again, the motor will crank, but there was no spark. It was a broken timing belt, it's made of rubber. This is a non-interference engine, so if the timing belt broke, there is no possibility of destroying the pistons, valves or engine. A simple timing belt change (total cost us400) fixed the problem.

bad crank scensor.

665

ya check the plugs, if they are wet then you definitely have fuel, could have also burnt out the coil, other than that check for ignition codes or the ignition system

50

i went trhu the same i check wires spark plugs fuel pump and everything then i check the timing and it was off by a little i replace the belt and tensioner and it started rigth away ran for about half an hour turn it off waited about four hours started again it ran fine for about 3 min the it died an im back to square one any sugestions thanks

10

Fuel Pump Driver Module!!!

10

The same happened to me also somebody said check the Heads to see if there cracked before I get the timing belt and the water pump done. Because I guess if the head's are cracked then I'm in deep