98 FORD CROWN VICTORIA

20

Asked by Oct 08, 2015 at 11:22 PM about the 1998 Ford Crown Victoria

98 FORD ,CV, HOUSTON, TX - picked up from Pepboys today, c/e lite off, i press on accelerator, car only goes 1 mph! this is after car dying, towed to Pepboys and alternator/battery fixed for $500 (towing/battery/alternator and who knows what else).  check engine lite was on but Pepboys didn't check for codes.

i took car back today and now they told me 10 hrs later that their computer is broken and they can't read my car codes.  so now i have to drive/tow car to another place b/c of their mess.

when i got car back today my emergency brake lite would flash off/on.  Then lite ive never seen before stayed on.  up/down line w/lines going thru.  and now my wonderful ford a/c is only blowing hot air.  There wasnt anything wrong w/my a/c.   

What on earth is wrong w/car and how bad did Pepboys mess my car u?  Help Im a woman who doesn't deal well w/car problems. :)

im having car towed to my brothers mechanic. pep says their computer is broken but now says what they thnk is intake manifold is broken. they don't know if it happened on their previous watch or not. i cant wait for them to get around to having their computer fixed. how much $$ should i sink into 98 ford w/ 72000 miles. i don't drive very much

MY BROTHER'S MECHANIC SAYS COMPLETE INTAKE GASKET /  THERMOSTAT  /  COOLANT FLUSH  / TOWING / LABOR / PAYMENT $794.60

20

ALSO INCLUDED IN CHARGE IS $48 FOR DIAGNOSTIC READING OF CHECK ENGINE LIGHT THAT CAME ON WHILE I WAS TRYING TO DRIVE CAR AT 1MPH.

63,225

Oh boy! I always feel bad when people get ripped off!! The absolute first thing they should have done with the check engine light on is scan the computer! That's auto mechanics 101. Sounds like they messed up the refrigeration system for the a/c when they did the alternator. Definitely get a second opinion from your Brother's mechanic. These are very good cars and with only 72,000 miles on it you have a lot of life left in this car. In my opinion it's worth fixing. I'd contact Pep boys' Corporate Office and file a complaint. Maybe you can get your money back. If that goes nowhere try your local Office of Consumer's Affairs. You can file a complaint with them and if they can prove any wrong doing by Pep boys you'll get your money back. Good luck with this. Keep us posted! HTH. -Jim

150,865

They have a dozen scanners to read codes. And another dozen on the shelf in the store. That's the biggest pile of baloney I have ever heard, they can't read codes. Follow Jim's advice and maybe even go so far as a lawyer. Something I seldom to never advise. but You have been ripped off so bad it makes me sick.