98 cv

30

Asked by Oct 02, 2015 at 11:44 PM about the 1998 Ford Crown Victoria

98 cv, picked up from Pepboys today, c/e lite off, i press on accelerator, car only goes 1 mph! this is after car dying, towed to Pepboys and alternator/battery fixed for $500 (towing/battery/alternator and who knows what else).  check engine lite was on but Pepboys didn't check for codes.

i took car back today and now they told me 10 hrs later that their computer is broken and they can't read my car codes.  so now i have to drive/tow car to another place b/c of their mess.

when i got car back today my emergency brake lite would flash off/on.  Then lite ive never seen before stayed on.  up/down line w/lines going thru.  and now my wonderful ford a/c is only blowing hot air.  There wasnt anything wrong w/my a/c.   

What on earth is wrong w/car and how bad did Pepboys mess my car u?  Help Im a woman who doesn't deal well w/car problems. :)

238,105

Emergency brake light means an issue with the parking brake or you have a brake fluid leak. Check the level in your brake reservoir, it should be at MAX. AC blowing warm air might be as simple as being low on refrigerant. Pep boys, is a budget repair shop, hit and miss, I'd find a reputable local mechanic to get your car safe to drive again.

Best Answer
30

im having car towed to my brothers mechanic. pep says their computer is broken but now says what they thnk is intake manifold is broken. they don't know if it happened on their previous watch or not. i cant wait for them to get around to having their computer fixed. how much $$ should i sink into 98 ford w/ 72000 miles. i don't drive very much

238,105

That's BS about not being able to check the codes, you can buy a cheap code scanner for $20 or have your local auto parts store like auto zone do it for free. Don't have them replace the manifold on a whim. Maybe the gasket is bad, but I doubt the whole intake is. I wouldn't invest a lot in a 18 year old car. How is the rest of the car? sounds like you will be putting $1000's in a car that is only worth $2K tops. Like I said, run far away from that Pepboys, sounds like you are being taken advantage of.

30

MY BROTHER'S MECHANIC SAYS COMPLETE INTAKE GASKET THERMOSTAT COOLANT FLUSH LABOR PAYMENT $794.60

30

ALSO TOWING FEE ADDED IN

238,105

Sounds high, but not sure on your location, that would dictate labor rate. I'd say probably half that cost. Glad you got it diagnosed properly.