Leaking antifreeze

Asked by May 13, 2012 at 07:50 PM about the 2000 Chrysler Neon

A day ago, when I started my car, I heard a squealing sound [my brother described it like a hissing sound]. I
drove the car down the street, there was no engine light on, I thought maybe it was my fan belt going. I drove a
little while and then I heard a thud inside my car,and my car died.

I pulled the car over and when I got out of the car, it was leaking mad anti freeze. Problem is I can't see it
coming from any hoses. I don't want to take the car apart if it sounds like it's going to be a problem in my
engine.

241,375

Hmmm, interesting. I'll take a stab at it. Your serpentine belt probably snapped and hit the radiator sprewing out the antifreeze? Is the belt intake? I suspect the car died due to anitfreeze getting all over the ignition parts. Post back with what you found.

1,565

i believe your timing belt snapped due to your water pump seizing up. you are looking at extensive repairs if that is what happened since this is an interference engine. how many miles are on the car? was the timing belt ever replaced?